PDA

View Full Version : I need a recommendation for SMALL covers

mamacarp
10-16-2007, 11:18 PM
So I decided to go with cloth as a newborn with DS2. We’ve successfully used prefolds and kissaluvs. DS is now 9 lbs 11 oz and having leaks with his newborn proraps and nikkis, so I’m thinking it’s time to move up to the next cover size. I tried Green Earth SMALL which is supposed to work from 9 lbs, but it doesn’t fit DS’s lean waist. Can anyone recommend a good fitting cover??

o_mom
10-17-2007, 06:38 AM
I love Bummis Super Whisper Wraps. They are not a tight fitting cover, so you need to use a snappi with prefolds. They do adjust well, IMO, and fit a wide range of sizes.

american_mama
10-19-2007, 04:49 PM
I would stick to aplix/velcro covers rather than covers with snaps at the waist since they'll let you make the waist smaller than snaps in pre-set positions. I hear good things about Thirsties covers for newborns. Bummis Super Whisper Wraps are a generally well-liked cover, and they are coming out with a new line called Super Brites with gussets and cute prints, available in November (see their website.) Other PUL cover that is well-known is Motherease Rikky Wraps and Bumkins.

You might want to look at side-snap covers and pull-on covers, which will have elastic all around the waist and thus might fit the waist well. You will have to use a snappi with the prefold if using one of these covers, since they are a poofier fit. Let's see.. for basic pull-ons, you could look at Bummis, Indisposables, some Dappis, and Alexis Featherlights (Alexis are probably no longer made and only available used). You want the material to be PUL or 100% nylon (more breathable), not vinyl like a showercap. (Gerber, some Dappis, and Ecology Kids all use vinyl, so stay away from those.)

For cute patterns, you could try Motherease Airflows, which are side snaps, and REPOSO. Lots of moms make side snap covers in cute patterns. Angely Dry is good and I could sometimes use a trifolded prefold in that one, but her sizing runs big.

mudder17
10-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Would you consider pull-on covers? I never used them until my second and I love them! I have both Bummis Super Whisper Pants and the Dappi ones and haven't noticed much of a difference between them, except the Dappi ones are more inexpensive. They run on the large side, but there's some overlap. At your DS' current size, he could probably use both the newborn and small size.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

mamacarp
10-19-2007, 10:30 PM
We do use Whisper Pants for our DS1 (2.5 years), but my DH dislikes them. When DS1 outgrew his Fuzzi Bunz in June, we switched to prefolds and pullup covers hoping to be economical for a few (ha ha) months until he was SUPPOSED to be potty trained (by the time his sibling arrived in August).
Perhaps we are doing something wrong, but they seem so messy to take off as wetness wipes off on the legs. I worry it would be worse with BF poop when leaks out of the prefold. Also the rinse and dry takes hours.
Were we just terribly spoiled by FB??
Thanks for the suggestions,
Kat

Katra1
11-01-2007, 02:58 PM
I've been very happy with Thirsties. We too used proraps through size small, along with some WAHM covers. I found thirsties by chance, and fell in love - not a single leak, ever.

luvsviola
11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
I hated my proraps and the bummis were too big for a really long time. I like the bumkins and thirsties best. I did bumkins as a newborn, but didn't find thirsties til later. However, it is what I'll buy for the next one for sure.

DD was 6 lbs even when she came home.