PDA

View Full Version : Help.. How do I soften Prefold

mamacarp
10-22-2007, 09:37 PM
I've been using infant chinese prefolds for a couple of months. But I've noticed they are no longer soft. The cotton has become pilled and scratchy. I think it is causing the redness on DS's front - they can't feel good rubbing against him.
Could my laundering be the cupprit? I have a high efficiency front loader. I cold wash w/ baking soda. Then hot w/ a wee bit of Tide HE and Sportwash w/ a vinegar rinse. Then they dry on hot.
If I can't get them softer, what is the best material to cut into a liner?
Thanks,

Kate

Momof3Labs
10-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Do you have hard or soft water? If hard water, you may need to use more detergent and periocally add some Calgon water softener in there, too. If you have soft water, I don't know - I've always dealt with hard water and diaper laundry!

mamacarp
10-23-2007, 07:53 PM
It's hard water... So I'll try the Calgon... Thanks! Should Iadd anything to the dryer?

kitmama
10-23-2007, 10:30 PM
You could also try tossing a couple tennis balls in with the diapers when you tumble dry them- they thump around of course, but might help beat some softness into the prefolds.

If you have hard water, then I bet the Calgon will help immensely. You might also consider a touch of white vinegar in the rinse cycle- say, a couple tablespoons or so.