PDA

View Full Version : When to not use diapers at nap and night time

niccig
11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
DS is potty training. He's been naked trained for months and in underwear for 3 weeks. We're having less and less accidents at home, but he's still struggling with school as he only wants a particular teacher to take him and she's not always available. Sometime he can hold it for the 3 hours of school until I get there, and sometime he has an accident.

But my question is about naps and night time. I change him into a diaper and he's started to ask to stay in his underwear. I'm not sure if he can stay dry. He's still in the crib. We hadn't planned to move him into a twin bed until after Christmas - he'll be 3 then.

So, do I try to leave him in underwear at naps and at night and just deal with changing the sheets? Does he need to be out of the crib to night train?

Thanks ladies. I followed your advice about letting DS decide when to wear underwear and he woke up one day and didn't want his diaper. You were right, when he was ready he was ready and it's been a pretty easy transition so far.

Nicci

kitmama
11-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Hmm, that's tough. I suppose if he's OK calling you to get him out of the crib when he needs to go, it could work. Littleman was in a "big boy" bed by the time we started thinking aboout nap/night training. (I stress "thinking about"- he's now 4 and still not nap/night trained).

My instinct is to get them out of the crib before attempting it. But it might work out OK in the crib. Either way, I'd try naps before trying night.

niccig
11-08-2007, 05:24 PM
I think I'll wait a little longer. I need his naps at the moment - I'm inundated with work and house stuff. We've got a lot going on until January, so I might try then for naps. He's still wet after nap and in the morning, so I really don't think we're ready.

michlyn
11-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Will he wear the nighttime pull ups instead of underwear? That might be a good transition.