PDA

View Full Version : DS won't go in the potty at school

niccig
11-09-2007, 08:37 PM
DS is pting for 3 weeks now. We have no accidents at home, he takes himself, all is good. He refuses to go at school. Says, he only pees at home - not true, he's used the restroom in stores/restaurants. He has an accident, says it's funny, giggles and gives the teachers a cute smile.

I have him pee before we leave home, and I take him when I pick him up. I don't know what to do to encourage him to go at school? If he's gone for the teacher, I give him our treat for using the potty, but that doesn't seem enough. The teachers can't give out rewards, as the other kids want them too. I thought I could do a sticker chart and if he goes at school, the teacher will tell me, he gets a sticker and then go to the store to buy something.

Any other ideas? I don't want the teachers to put him back in pull-ups.

Thanks.

kitmama
11-09-2007, 10:55 PM
You mentioned that you take him to the potty when you pick him up- is it the same bathroom that he'd use when you are not there? I was thinking that getting him used to peeing in that bathroom (with you along, just like in a store or restaurant) might help him decide to use it when you are not there. . .

If you already use a rewards system at home, then being consistent by rewarding him for school potty trips is a good idea.

My main advice is to simply be patient- hopefully the teachers will stay on board with you here! I'd be really upset if I were in your situation and the teachers insisted on pullups. Good luck! Maybe he'll change his mind soon and surprise you. Once the kiddo makes up their mind to cooperate, it's so easy!

niccig
11-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks Kit.
I do take him to the same toilet. Sometimes he goes, other times he doesn't. I'm keeping up with the rewards for home and school.

I'm trying to be patient. I feel for the teachers though. They know he doesn't have accidents outside of school. I hope he does decide to cooperate soon.

Nicci