PDA

View Full Version : Wool allergy? What type of cover now?

MarisaSF
11-26-2007, 02:46 AM
I've been putting DS to bed with a wool cover (Aristocrats) over his super-stuffed BumGenius diaper. He's leaked out of the diaper itself too many times, so a cover is essential. Even with the cover, I change him at least twice between bed and wake-up!

His torso is now covered in red-pink splotches and I think it's from the wool. Not sure if it's the wool itself or if it's wool that needs a good cleaning or more lanolin or....?

Anyone else deal with this? I'm online looking for a fleece cover. Not sure if that would work? Would love suggestions.

pb&j
11-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Try giving the wool an extra-thorough washing. My gut reaction is that the pee residue is the culprit for the splotches, and not the wool itself. Anyway, that's the cheapest option, and a good one to rule out before sinking more $$ into new covers.

FWIW, I've got a super soaker too, and never could get cloth to work overnight for him. :(

-Ry,
mom to Max, age 1.5
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

MarisaSF
11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Ry.
The 'crats is currently drying. :)
DH made me feel so bad. The kids seem to have the same rash-prone skin as G and G was telling me that wool on his skin is like torture. DS hadn't seemed to be complaining about any itchiness, so hopefully it doesn't actually hurt him!

What diaper do you use at night? One of those special "overnight" types? Does Max need changing in the middle of the night? I don't change T until about 4am, but then I change him at 6 and then again at 7!

pb&j
11-26-2007, 11:57 PM
We use Huggies overnights a size larger than what he wears during the day. It's about 50/50 if they'll contain him or not during the night. He does most of his peeing in the early a.m. hours, so changing him before I go to bed wouldn't really help, and I'm sure not setting my alarm for 4!!! :D We just have lots of spare sheets and jammies. Sigh.

I've thought about trying a cover over the sposie, but honestly, it doesn't wake him up or seem to bother him at all. Plus, he often pees so much the diaper bursts and the gel beads get all over - I'd hate to clean that off a cover.

-Ry,
mom to Max, age 1.5
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

daisymommy
11-27-2007, 05:02 PM
I am still trying to figure out a nighttime diapering solution for Hannah, so I won't be of much help there, but I DO have a fleece cover recommendation if you decide to go that route.

It's called the Dancing Bears Bear Bottoms Soaker:
http://diaperware.com/productpage/dancingbears.htm

It's a nice thick 300wt. Polar Fleece (most other night fleece covers are 200 wt.) It's the softest, most comfy pair of fleece soaker shaorts I've ever seen!

I'm going to try it over a stuffed Bum Genius, as well as a Simply Baby Very Nights hemp diaper, a stuffed Happy Hempy, and a Firefly Sleep Tight that is left from Joshua's diaper days. I also bought an Aristocrat to try over these dipes as well. I'll let you know if we have success!