PDA

View Full Version : Using a wool cover over a 'sposie?

JoyNChrist
11-27-2007, 01:36 PM
DS is becoming quite the super soaker at night (usually soaking out of his Pampers Cruiser by morning). I was changing his diaper in the middle of the night, but now we're committing to CIO since his sleep habits have been getting worse instead of improving. So changing him in the middle of the night isn't an option anymore.

I've tried cloth a couple times, and really wanted to love it, but I've finally had to face the fact that it's just not for me. I hate doing laundry, and washing the poopy dipes grosses me out. So I decided that I'm not wasting any more money buying diapers that I'm not going to use.

So what I'm wondering is if using a wool cover over a 'sposie would work for nighttime? Most nights, DS doesn't actually soak through the diaper, it just gets so full that some moisture wicks to the outside and his pajamas are damp. And then every now and then he does soak through the diaper and wet his pajamas and sheets, but that doesn't happen often. I was thinking that maybe using a wool cover over the disposable diaper would solve the wicking problem.

Or does anybody know if there's a better alternative for nighttime disposables (he's in a size 3)? Maybe I should start another thread to ask about that...

Momof3Labs
11-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Problem is, wool won't hold in the pee if the diaper is already saturated. And wool tends to wick if there is too much wetness behind it. A plastic cover might work, but only with the wicking. You'll still probably get leaks if the pee has nowhere else to go.

Have you tried adding a diaper doubler (or maxi pad) to his dipe at nighttime? Otherwise, I really like Huggies Overnights when we need a nighttime disposable solution.

o_mom
11-27-2007, 04:54 PM
I would try going up a size just at night if the threes are working well during the day. He is probably long past pooping at night, which is where a too big diaper will get you in trouble, IME. Get a small pack of 4's and try that at night. He will grow into the 4's eventually, so it won't be wasted money if it doesn't work.

DS3 is 6 months, 18-20 lbs and he is starting to look a little plump in the size three - the rise is getting really short on him and he blows out the back. We use Sam's Club or Target generics when we use disposables and those hold a bunch, so I'm guessing that Pampers holds just as much.