PDA

View Full Version : Charlottesville, VA Mommy

celfsh
04-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Welcome! Glad to hear your little one is doing so well. I tried to view your pic, but all I see is a box with an X in it.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

mamahill
04-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Welcome - and glad that Ryan is doing well. I love my RA, but then I'm a sucker for leopard (the salesperson kept saying, "fashion doesn't mean safety," but with a Britax it does! doesn't it?).

Glad to have you aboard (pun intended:)). I couldn't see your pic either :(. I'm sure he's a handsome little devil!

danielleh
04-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Hi,

Welcome! My DS shares a birthday with yours and is also doing the rocking back and forth thing. I probably should also be doing some more baby-proofing.

Danielle
mom to Jimmy born 8/29/02

newbelly2002
04-10-2003, 02:53 PM
I WAS a C'ville mommy, for about a month. Delivered 8/1/02 in Martha Jefferson, then moved to Europe. Ohh do I miss it. We used to live on the outskirts of town in a beautiful old farm house.

I know MJ had some great resources (mommy groups, etc) for new Moms. Could you contact them? Or there is another C'ville mom on the board. Although work keeps her quite busy, I'm sure she'll pop around soon.

Maybe a post-natal yoga course through the Studio there on MArket Street. Sorry, can't remmeber the name but it's right next to the hardware store on the far end of the Mall by the Vinegar Hill Movie THeater. Or the baby store there on the Downtown Mall also usually has a few notices of mommy-baby related courses/advertsiments etc. Okay, I have to stop this now. I'm getting homesick.

Welcome aboard!
Paula, Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33a3c3de467

sntm
04-11-2003, 07:40 AM
Welcome Christine and Ryan! Also in C-ville, though mommy-to-be. Glad to hear Ryan's surgery went well - if you don't mind my asking, did you have it done at UVA and who did it Kron or Peeler? I'm a surgery resident there. The moms I know (mostly wives of surgery residents) seem to have most connections to each other and through church groups, but if you find any good playgroups, let me know!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

Ryansmom
04-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Hi Shannon,

I tried to send you a msg, but I'm not sure if it worked - so to answer your question:

DS was born in NJ and was transferred to CHOP the day after he was born. The morning after he was born he was dx with a coarct. At CHOP he was further dx with a hypoplastic arch. Dr. Gaynor was his surgeon.

We were thrilled will the level of care by the entire medical team at CHOP. While DS was in the hospital, we discovered that were moving to C'Ville. We quickly researched UVA. DS has had a cardiology check-up at UVA and is doing great. UVA is a fantastic medical center and we feel blessed to live so close.

Enjoy every minute of your pregnancy. It is a wonderful time in your life! I have a great list of what to bring for L&D. Let me know if you are interested.

DS and I enjoyed our first play date today! Most of the moms met trhough MJ Hospital post delivery.

heva
04-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Welcome to C'ville, Christine! I hope you'll enjoy living here as much as we do. I recently heard about a great "swimming" class for new moms and babies at the UVA Aquatic Center - the link here doesn't have the summer schedule yet, but I'm told it comes out in June. http://www.virginia.edu/ims/fitness/fit-prog-natal.html#natal
I don't know if you've relocated due to a job at the University (seems like almost everyone I know works there in some capacity), but even if you're not affiliated, the aquatic center is still worth checking out - an amazing facility!

I suppose I should introduce myself, as this is my first post... I'm 32 and good friends with Shannon (sntm) who introduced me to Baby Bargains. After spending nearly the whole day lurking, I figured I'd better out myself, and this thread seemed most appropriate! Anyway, like Shannon, I'm a surgery resident at UVA, and also expecting a boy :) I was born here in Charlottesville (my dad was an MD/PhD and peds resident here), but grew up in Potomac, Maryland. I came back to C'ville for undergrad, then forced DH (then fiance) to follow me to Rochester, NY for med school, and back to C'ville for residency - he's an amazing man. We are delighted to be back in Virginia, close to both sets of parents, and nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge.

Looking forward to posting some questions soon...and very glad to have a few months to negotiate all the stuff out there. As a naive, first-time mom, I'd like to thank all who've posted their experiences to date for sharing their wisdom and questions. Things sure have changed since I was a kid and slept in my carriage, since my parents didn't have space or $ for a crib! (Incidentally, I blame Shannon for hooking me on the Bugaboo :* - I'm justifying the expense by promising to use it as a bassinet like my mom did...)

Cheers,
Heather

Ryansmom
04-25-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi Heather! I'm glad you found the message boards. My DH was transferred here, but we are not affiliated with UVA. We love living in C'ville and hope to be here for a very long time.

I have signed-up DS for swimming classes starting in May. He loves playing at bath time, so I can't wait to see him in the pool.

Enjoy your pregnancy. It is a wonderful experience and a special time in your life.

heva
04-30-2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks! We're really enjoying the pregnancy so far. Had dinner with some old friends last night who are moving to Chapel Hill, NC for a year - and planning on returning to C'ville ASAP! Most people who've lived here have a really hard time leaving :)

Where are you signed up for swimming classes? I'd love to get going before June if possible... Kind of dreading finding a suit, though, since I seem to change shape every 5 minutes at this point!

Email me anytime if you have questions about where to shop, eat, etc.

Take care,

aggie202
06-12-2003, 11:34 AM
I am very jealous that you live in C'ville. My sister just finished her soph year at UVA--I went down to see one of her lacrosse games this spring. What a gorgeous campus!!!

Seems like a really nice place to live. . .enjoy!

Ryansmom
08-25-2003, 11:23 PM
I am new to the Charlottesville area and would like to contact other mommies in the area. I LOVE the Baby Bargains Books and Message Boards.

I am a SAHM for Ryan age 7 months. He was born with a critical heart problem and needed immediate surgery. Ryan is doing great now and should need no further surgery. If you are faced with a similar situation, I would be happy to talk to you. It helped me to know of similar parents in our sitatuion.

Ryan is mastering the log roll and is rocking back and forth on his hands and knees. We are busy baby-proofing and just today I intalled his convertable carseat (Britax RA).

(I hope I attached the picture correctly!)