PDA

View Full Version : Spencer Graham finally made it home

Rhonda36
06-06-2003, 09:21 AM
Well, it's been 3 weeks since I've been on the boards, and we finally have our little Spencer home. Here's the scoop:

On Friday, May 16th, we went in for the NST and ultrasound since I was a week overdue. Well, the u/s showed that there was low amniotic fluid, so they kept me to begin induction. Of course, I wasn't the teeniest bit dilated, so they used Cervadil to get the cervix to soften up a bit. Then a tray of hospital food and the orders to get some rest.

Fast forward to 4 a.m., nurse sitting beside me in bed watching the baby's monitor. Heartrate had started little dips. Took Cervadil out and planned for start of pitocin. I refused breakfast thinking that there may be a chance I shouldn't be eating...

8 a.m., pitocin started. 9 a.m., pitocin stopped. Heartrate dipping again, and still only about 1 cm dilated. So without further discussion, we decide on c-section.

Little man Spence came to us at noon on that day, with a shock of strawberry blond hair, his daddy's eyebrows and unfortunately for him, his grandfather's nose... :)

(Flagger: he also had meconium in the fluid, which they suctioned successfully -- but we like to laugh and say that the Matrix Reloaded scared the meconium out of him. Kind of twisted, I know, but two weeks in the hospital makes you laugh at weird things.)

But: he had low blood glucose, so they whisked him off to the nursery to formula-feed him every three hours. They wouldn't even let us feed him because he was spitting up so much and wanted to monitor him. Finally, I threw a fit on Day 3 and insisted that I get to at least try to start BFing. That night, they moved him to the NICU because they still couldn't get glucose stabilized. Within a day, the dextrose IV had done the trick, but they noticed that his oxygenation was low and blood pressure was high, so he spent another 1 1/2 weeks there.

Long story, but now we have him home and he's doing remarkably well. He's such a joy, and funny, and smells so good, and makes us absolutely crazy. We're still monitoring his blood pressure, etc., but we think it's something he'll just "grow out of..."

I've searched and searched for news on Jennifer13 -- are you out there?

Rhonda and Spencer

chrissyhowie
06-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Congratulations to you and your family!! Hooray for Spencer for finally making the journey home!

Motherhood truly is the greatest, and babies are such blessings. Best wishes for some uninterrupted sleep now and then!

celfsh
06-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Rhonda, that's fabulous news! So glad your little has finally made it safely home! Congratulations--can't wait to see pictures!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

sweetbasil
06-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Well congratulations to your family...here's hoping these next few weeks are much calmer and enjoyable in your own home! Great job, Rhonda :)

flagger
06-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Congratulations! And welcome to the world Spencer.

egoldber
06-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like you guys had a bit of a bumpy start, but good to hear that you and little Spencer are doing well now!

August Mom
06-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Congratulations. I'm glad that Spencer is home where he belongs.

mama2be
06-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Congrats on the arrival of Spencer!!!!
It sounds like you all are having a wonderful time!!!

Hugs!

blnony
06-06-2003, 08:50 PM
Congrats! And welcome to Spencer. I'm so glad he doing well now, and I hope you are doing good too! I'm glad you are back.

twins r fun
06-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Congratulations and welcome Spencer! Sorry to hear you guys had such a rough start, but glad allis well now.

jojo2324
06-07-2003, 07:31 AM
Wonderful news!! Welcome home Spencer, so glad you are feeling better!

And Rhonda, breathe deep...That baby smell is absolutely divine! :D

mharling
06-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Congratulations and welcome Spencer! I'm sure you're happy to be home!

Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

nathansmom
06-08-2003, 08:11 PM
I'm glad things are going better. Your labor sounds almost exactly like mine. Nathan was also born with very low blood suger. Nathan also spent time in the NICU.

Welcome Spencer!!!!!!!!

Andrea S
06-09-2003, 06:24 AM
Rhonda,

Congrats. I am so glad you have Spencer home!!

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02