PDA

View Full Version : introduction and announcing arrival of Ryden

bluej
06-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Hello. I've been mostly lurking here for about five months or so. I post occassionally, but mostly I just soak up info. I decided it's about time I introduced myself since I also have a new baby to introduce. My name is Jen. I'm a stay at home mom and have been so for almost nine years. I may have nine years of parenting experience, but my kids are spaced 4 1/2 to 5 years apart and I'm amazed at all that changes w/ baby equipment in that time. I've learned about great new products here and new products to avoid. All of your knowledge and experience has been greatly appreciated, as we don't hang onto our baby equipment, we just start over each time we have a baby. As for my babies, I have a nine year old daughter, Alexandra (Alex) who is a math and science whiz. I have a five year old son, Caden who is a drama king and it has yet to be determined if he'll be a whiz at anything other than being overly dramatic. And I have a new love of my life, Ryden who is just perfect. He was born May 30, 2003 and was in a hurry to get here. With my other two, my water broke and I went to the hospital to be monitored and eventually induced w/ each of them. I guess I just assumed my water would break w/ this one as well, but did read up that if labor started to wait until contractions were five minutes apart for an hour before heading to the hospital. Let me tell you ladies, don't follow that if your body is telling you something different! Back labor started at 11:30 pm. Fairly mild, not too bad pain, other than annoying b/c it was in my back. Contractions were ten minutes apart. At 12:30 am they were still ten minutes apart but they were incredibly painful. I had a hard time focusing through them and my body didn't totally relax b/w contractions. I didn't see how I could possibly make it to five minutes apart for an hour before heading to the hospital for some relief, but I stupidly stuck it out of another half hour. At 1:00 am I told Paul that we were going to the hospital b/c I couldn't take it anymore. We got up and got dressed and got our stuff together. At 1:15 am Paul was on the phone to the hospital telling them we were coming in. During that time my water broke and contractions went from ten minutes to back to back. By the time I made it to the stairs I was wanting to push. How I made it down the stairs and to the van is beyond me. I kept fighting the urge to push all the way to the hospital thinking I would reward myself w/ one big push once we entered the emergency room. Got there and decided I could hold off until we hit the maternity ward. Got there and decided I could wait until we got into the room (yes it's difficult to play mind games when all you want to do is push, but it worked). We got into the room and I had every intention of delivering that baby in the wheelchair. The nurses had other plans however and they made me get up onto the bed. Last they heard, my contractions were ten minutes apart. We didn't think of calling them and letting them know of the change in progress on our way to the hospital. So they were very surprised to check me and see that I was fully dilated and the baby's head was right there. This was at 1:45 am and can you believe they wouldn't let me push? I had been fighting the urge to push for 25 minutes at this point! There wasn't a Dr. on the floor and they wouldn't let me push until they located one. Finally at 1:55 am they let me start pushing and Ryden was born at 2:05 am! He was 8 lbs 11 oz and 21 inches and looks just like his big sister! He is a perfect baby and so far never fusses. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that colic doesn't come pay a visit at our peaceful household!

Jen

Alex (10-8-93)
Caden (3-30-98)
Ryden (5-30-03)

jojo2324
06-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Wow, congrats on your new little one!! That is quite a birth story! I don't think that I could have been told not to push at that point...I probably would have let loose with a litany of expletives and other such niceties. You must be one strong woman! :D

Here's to happy, colic-free nights!

sweetbasil
06-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Congratulations, Jen. Hey- at least you weren't in that hospital bed all day long! What a story...you're quite a trooper, hanging on for that long. Paul's lucky he didn't end up delivering Ryden in the van himself! Can't wait to see pics and get to know you better. Welcome :)

mharling
06-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Wow, what an amazing story!! Congratulations and welcome to you!! And welcome Ryden!

Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

chrissyhowie
06-09-2003, 08:53 PM
Congratulations to you!! What a great birth story! I'm sure Ryden will hear all about it ("...if I had sneezed you would have flown right out!!" :P LOL!) That's the way to do it -- roll right in to L&D and deliver! You are definitely a strong woman -- let's hear it for Girl Power :*! Welcome and thanks for sharing your great experience.

bluej
06-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Trust me, I'm not as strong as you all may think I am! After it was all over w/ I STILL wanted my drugs! I felt that I deserved them :) All I got was advil and stool softeners (which are still my best friend eleven days later!). Thanks for the warm wishes and I look forward to becoming a more active member on this forum!

Jen

stillplayswithbarbies
06-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Wow, you are a strong woman! I can't imagine resisting the urge to push. My first was like yours, water breaks so you go to the hospital. So this time, I didn't know when to go to the hospital other than what we learned at Bradley class. Well, like you, that was too late.

But when they told me not to push, I said "I don't know how to not push!" and I pushed anyway. :)

Welcome to the boards, and welcome to the world little Ryden!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

August Mom
06-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Welcome and congratulations.

liya
06-10-2003, 10:18 PM
incredible story....welcome glad you could join us

mama2be
06-11-2003, 04:20 AM
Jenn Welcome to the boards...and Ryden welcome to the world!!! glad to have you here among us!!!!