PDA

View Full Version : Baby finally arrived...it's a boy!!

nat12
06-21-2003, 03:39 PM
I just knew it would be a boy! After being 10 days late I was induced late at night on Friday the 13th and Ethan Elias arrived on June 14 at 11:16am. I have to say, for a first child I couldn't have asked for a much better labour.

After being given PG gel to ripen my cervix (I was expecting pitocin but dh and I and the nurse suspected the doctor ordered PG gel inserts to get my cervix more ripened (how much more ripened did it need to be at that point - 3cm and 80%) so that he could get a good night's sleep! :) My cervix didn't ripen but I did start getting uncomfortable contractions, first time I'd experienced real contractions. However, they were frequent and lasted 2 minutes and the nurse couldn't give me a 2nd insert til they slowed down. By 4am they hadn't slowed down so the nurse started me on a low dosage of pitocin. Again, not much happened even though she kept upping the dosage every 20 minutes.

I finally received an epidural around 8:30am then the doctor came in
to see me. He started off with a bunch of talk about having a
possible c-section due to the baby's size and possible shoulder
dislocation due to not fitting through my pelvis. This scared
the heck out of me, I definitely didn't want it to come to that. Then he broke my water at 9:29 and we decided to see what happened in the next 2 hours. Things happened very quickly after that and Ethan came screaming into the world less than 2 hours later at 8lbs 2oz and 21.5 inches. It was an amazing and mostly pain free experience (although I'm suffering now with 2 tears, oh well, well worth it).

Ethan's 1 week old today and already gained back 6 3/4 oz of the 8 oz he lost (I'm having some latching on issues but most of the time bfing is going great!). He's so wonderful and healthy and only cries when he's hungry. I'll have to figure out how to attach a picture of him here like most of you have.

Thank you to those of you who shared your induction experiences with me last week and for your well wishes.

Natalie
Ethan Elias 6/14/03

Marisa6826
06-21-2003, 06:56 PM
Natalie-

Congratulations and welcome Ethan Elias! He sounds just wonderful.

So glad that you had such a good birth experience.

Looking forward to hearing all about Ethan's "firsts"!

-m

chrissyhowie
06-21-2003, 09:55 PM
Big congratulations to you! Parenthood is the best. Best wishes for some good naps here and there! Welcome, Ethan!

jojo2324
06-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Welcome Ethan!! Glad to hear that BFing is going well! :)

Rachels
06-22-2003, 10:48 AM
Congratulations and welcome, Ethan!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mharling
06-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Congrats Natalie and a BIG welcome to Ethan!!! I love that name.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

August Mom
06-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.