PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd introduce myself...

rorycam
09-26-2003, 10:03 AM
My name is Rory (well, actually Aurora, but no one has ever called me that), I'm 32, and DH and I are expecting our first baby. DH is an ENT resident and I work at home doing medical transcription. I would like to quit when baby gets here, but there is the little problem of enormous med school loans. :) However, I will be able to cut down my hours, and my mother and MIL are going to help out with babysitting...I actually have a great MIL. I have a BA in English, but fell into transcription, and it has been a perfect compromise between working outside and staying home and being available for my DH and soon baby. I'm so spoiled that I doubt I could ever work outside again.

We are not finding out the sex of our baby, which has caused quite a lot of irritation in our family. We think we have decided on the 2 names, which are not being shared with family just yet, lol.

I've been lurking here for a while and recently started posting, and have learned so much. I don't have much experience with babies, so these boards have helped a lot with what to need to buy and what to expect once baby is here. I'm so glad to have found a place where I can find answers to all the questions on everything from breastfeeding to diaper bags that run through my head at 3 a.m.!

Rory
mama-to-be to William Walker or Scarlett Jane, EDD 3-3-04,

peanut4us
09-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Glad to know you Rory. There are lots of medical folks on the boards, so I'm sure you'll have tons of support in that area.

I too have a BA in English Lit, but I fell into Technical Writing, which should be a great, work from home job. But not at IBM :(. Glad that you have some family around to help you be able to continue to support your DH's education habit (that's what we refer to it as in my house;).

Welcome.

amp
09-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Rory, Welcome to you! Glad you decided to introduce yourself. Look forward to reading your posts.

mharling
09-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Welcome!! Being surprised on the gender is so much fun; you'll love it!!! Phoohey on anyone who is irritated! ;) And you're so lucky to have a great MIL. I don't dislike mine, but I don't trust her with ds. I'm jealous!!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

kfcboston
09-29-2003, 02:35 PM
Welcome and best wishes! Nice to "meet" you. We loved not finding out the sex. After my c-section the doc let DH make the announcement!

mamahill
09-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Glad to meet you Rory! Welcome and enjoy the ride. Ooh, and I love both of your names - but would recommend NOT sharing them with family if you don't want everyone's "opinions." After the deed is done, they can only say nice things;) (coming from one who has had people ask if we made her name up. um, no, Ainsleigh Fiona is a perfectly good celtic name, thank you very much).

Rachels
10-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Welcome, Rory! Love those baby names!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

momma_boo
10-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi Rory,

Welcome!

I second the suggestion to withhold your name until the baby is born. Not that we chose a controversial name for our DD, but I didn't have to deal with people's opinions. (As my mom so eloquently asked when I wouldn't tell her the name... "But how can I tell you if I like it or not if you don't tell me?")

A good friend of mine named her DS Jacob and when she had some bad reactions from some people initially that got her pretty peeved.
A coworker wanted to name her soon-to-arrive DD Trinity, but I think she got too many negatives from people that she is reconsidering her choice.

August Mom
10-05-2003, 09:40 PM
Welcome! I'd keep the names secret from family and friends too. We did and it was so much better than being criticized for our name choices. Once the baby was here and named, we didn't get any name complaints.

chrissyhowie
10-06-2003, 09:01 PM
Hi, Rory. I think you have some beautiful names picked out. Welcome!

Nosy
10-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Welcome, Rory. I've been reading the bios, but so far only lurking, not posting. This site has been so helpful to me since I'm clueless about most things for baby. Your bio caught my eye, since we have the same EDD, 3/3/4. We're expecting our first, I'm 31 and work from home as well. I love it.. think of all the money you save on work clothes & transportation. Anyway, just wanted to say congratulations from one March mom-to-be to another!

sugarsnappea
10-17-2003, 06:36 AM
Welcome! Congrats about your upcoming arrival. We didn't find out the gender either.I would not of given up that surprise for ANYTHING! Our family is quite upset b/c we are continuing this w/ #2! ITA with the others about not sharing names~ you really don't want to know what others think! :)