PDA

View Full Version : Here is an intro

kijip
03-11-2004, 06:39 AM
I am 24 and finishing degrees in Math (Stats) and Econ. In my dream life I would wrap myself up in math grad work but since I have no desire to be an academic I am aiming for law school soon. My husband and I have an eight month old son. My husband has a less than marketable degree and works part-time for the stellar medical insurance...he will be a SAHD full time once I finish school. I work an admin/data job for cash and school savings. Parenthood was surprize and I am loving it tons...

We live in a city, split care duties around work and classes and spend a lot less time at concerts and dancing than we did pre-baby (duh). My main hobbies are politics, math, running, manners and housekeeping books, and punk music. I write some and tutor math. I love music, as does my husband and our courtship was spent at shows from hip-hop to punk to our subscription at the symphony and opera (all give aways since baby!).

Our son is a great addition to our life. We turned to BB to figure out how to fit a baby into the studio we brought him home to. We have since traded up for a teeny tiny house and have been very happy. Although sometimes the gear takes over the house and the baby monitor is pointless....We are always looking to hear from other parents but especially younger parents - we were the first/only in the friends that are our age and sometimes it is hard not having as much in common with your peers. PM if you have thoughts on younger parenthood...

brigmaman
03-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Welcome!! I'm pm'ing you now!

caleymama
03-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Welcome! I was 24 (DH was 28) when DD was born. We had started to think about trying in the next 1-2 years and then *surprise*! So, we just got started a little sooner than we thought we would.

I can't seem to conjure up any articulate thoughts on the subject of younger parenthood at the moment, but I certainly can relate to some of the things you're feeling. While our friends are very happy for us, none of them are at this point in their lives. Some are settled and married but not on to kids yet, assuming they plan to have them. It's made it very hard to keep up with my friends as well as I would like to because most are a long drive or plane trip away and that's just not possible on our budget or practical with DD. That's been very hard. I LOVE DD and DH, but definitely feel somewhat isolated and out of touch. We moved to a small town in a new area last summer and I have yet to really meet anyone. My saving grace has been my SIL, DH's sister. She and BIL had a baby 5 weeks after we did and it's been wonderful to share this with them - too bad she's 8 hours away!

amp
03-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Welcome! And congrats on your not-so-new parenthood! It changes everything, doesn't it?! Look forward to getting to know you!

peanut4us
03-12-2004, 10:54 AM
So glad to have you here! I am also probably going to do the law school plunge in the next year or two. And my DH is a SAHD now. We have several women on the boards whose husbands are SAHDs. Anyhow, welcome much!

momma_boo
03-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Hi! Welcome to the boards.

I consider myself to be a relatively "young" mom as well (I had DD when I was 26). Most of my close friends aren't even in serious relationships, so it can be hard for them to relate to my experiences. I have at least one friend who doesn't understand why I can't call and chat with her too often - especially since I work f/t and commute one hour each way into work!

It's admirable that you are finishing up your degrees w/ a baby. That's awesome!

LD92599
03-13-2004, 08:04 PM
Welcome to the Boards ~ you're going to love it here..I know I do!!! I admire you for going to school along w/ being a mom! Congrats on the house too..isn't life fun?

My DH was in medical sales and is now a SAHD! As Joey mentioned..there's several of us here w/ SAH DH's (hmm..maybe we oughta start a Yahoo group!).

I look forward to reading your posts ~ both questions and answers!!!

Laura
mom to William

mommd
03-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Hi! Welcome to the boards. I am also pretty young (26) and still in school. I have 2 1/2 years left in medical school and DH will probably be a SAHD and do wedding photography on the weekends when I finish school. We also have a pretty small house that's already overflowing with baby gear, so I understand how you feel! :)

papal
03-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the boards! Glad to have you here.

While by no means as young as you, i am 29, i can still relate to many of the things you describe. :)

Looking fwd to 'seeing' you more!

mharling
03-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Welcome!!

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

iluvmy2boys
03-24-2004, 11:56 PM
Not quite as young as you (I'm 26, will be 27 this year, GOSH that makes me feel SOOO old to say that, ACK!) I did have my kids pretty young. My oldest DS will be 5 next month and my 2nd (and last) DS will be 2 next month. I was 21 and 24 when they were born. Definitely have to say that we were the only one of our friends (ie: DH's coworkers) that had kids so young (DH was 26 and 29 when the boys were born). But our first was a HUGE surprise and we wanted kids no more then 3years apart.

Good luck to you!! and WELCOME!!