PDA

View Full Version : Urgent name help! Talia or Yael

naomi01
10-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Hi,

We ended up having our new baby daughter a few days earlier than our scheduled C-section and my husband and I seem stalled about her name. We are jewish and looking for traditional but unusual jewish names but are wondering how the general population will pronounce them. Our daughter is 6 days old so we need to decide QUICK!

Our top two first names are "Talia" and "Yael".

Talia - we had a near miss this afternoon when we realized that all along my husband had been imagining it spelled Talya, and I thought of it as Talia. We both would say it Tul-ya with as a nickname Tul-ee. I really don't like the Talya spelling.... is the Talia the current spelling - and is this how people would pronounce it? ie Tul-ya? What do you guys think?

Our other leading contender is Yael, an ancient biblical name, which we would pronounce Yuh-elle, we are concerned it might be mangled frequently by those who haven't heard of it... any thoughts?

I appreciate any comments (somehow I never thought I would need to post on names, but we are both curious to see how people would pronounce these names - and if they would think "how nice" or "uggh!" - in the real world).

TIA so much!

Naomi
DS 12/02/02
DD 10/18/04

missmelis01
10-25-2004, 12:54 AM
Naomi-
First congrats on the birth of your daughter. Hope all went well.

To comment on your names. I hate to say it, but my pronounciation for both was different than what you stated.

For Talia, I had pronounced it Tal-ee-a. And for Yael, I was a little closer with Yah-el.

With that being said, I think Talia is the better name. It is a little easier to pronounce and I can't think of anything negative that rhymes with it! :-)

Congrats, and do let everyone know what you decided.

Saartje
10-25-2004, 01:15 AM
Congratulations!

I pronounced both named differently than you would, but that's not surprising. I really think it's hard to find a name that your child won't have to either pronounce or spell for most people.

I think they're both beautiful names. Yael seems to me like it would be more open for teasing in grade school and for mis-hearings in adulthood (if I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds a bit like "yell" when you say it aloud). Like I said, though, they're both beautiful, so it's hard to go wrong.

(For how I'd have pronounced Talia: I come from an area with a large Spanish-speaking population, so I'd have pronounced it as if it were Spanish: Tah-lia. Not a big shift, though, if I met someone who pronounced it differently.)

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-25-2004, 06:06 AM
Talia,
my friends named their daughter Talia all from a discussion at our home prior to her adoption.
They actually spell it Thalia but when we discussed it at the house we clearly thought the name Talia and we pronounced it "Tall-ya".

Congrats by the way...I am so stuck between two names with our girl due in March and wonder if I'll be in your shoes :)

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

brigmaman
10-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Both names sound beautiful, but I love Talia. If I didn't see your explanation, I'd have pronounced it to rhyme with Dahlia. In fact, I my best friend in elementary school was Jewish and her name was Dahlia. I wonder if it was her mother's version of Talia.

sugarsnappea
10-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl!
I think Talia is beautiful. I knew the correct pronounciation, but not of Yael. Was Talia a character in an Amos Oz book? Good luck with your decision. :)

egoldber
10-25-2004, 10:58 AM
I think both names are beautiful, but I think that Talia is less likely to be mispronounced. But you should use the name you love best though. :)

amp
10-25-2004, 11:01 AM
I pronounced both of them wrong too, before I read your pronounciation. I was closer on Talia, and I like the look and sound of it better too. I fear people (based on my own bad pronounciation just now) will not know what to do with Yael, although I do think it's pretty.

But more importantly than my rotton pronounciation....Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl! Enjoy your newest addition! Good luck with the naming process!

8isenough
10-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Both are unique and lovely. I vote for Yael. What does she "look" like? :)

Sterling

naomi01
10-30-2004, 11:18 PM
Update - and thanks.

Hi everyone, thanks so much to all the people who volunteered assistance with our recent name choice! We really appreciated everyone's input and it helped immensely.

Today we officially named our daughter Talia Rebecca, and we plan to call her Tali for short (pronounced Tah'lee).

As always, BBB to the rescue!

Thanks again everyone.

Naomi
DS 12/02/02
DD 10/18/04

brigmaman
10-31-2004, 07:36 AM
Congrats! That's a beautiful choice!

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
10-31-2004, 03:52 PM
I LOVE the name Talia (although pronounced tah-lia)! It actually is the name I always planned on using - till I got married b/c it totally does not go w/ my husband's last name. I actually have a cousin named Yael, but she lives in Latin America, so pronunication isn't an issue. However, I also know a Yael in college and people had some difficulty pronouncing it.

So, I vote for Talia. :)

cara1
11-01-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm glad; that was my vote! BTW, you beat me. My dd was 2 days old before she had a name. Have you picked a Hebrew name? I'm still having trouble arranging a Baby naming ceremony.

naomi01
11-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Trish - just realized how close your due date is, good luck! Thanks for the support.

Cara - Yes, we took just over 7 days to make a final decision! Her hebrew name is Talia Rivka. We had hoped for a naming ceremony sooner, but I wasn't feeling so great last week after the C-section (long story). In the end we named her in synagogue this past weekend, and hope for a simchat bat in early december. How about you guys? What was your name?

Thanks again to all the wonderful people who helped me to decide...

Naomi

Canna
11-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Congrats! I prefer Talia. My pronunciation of that one would have been "TAHL-ee-uh". (Which I think it different from what you want.)

Yael looked a little funny to me (and we are Jewish too)...I would have guessed it was pronounced the same as Yale University.

TahliasMom
11-25-2004, 01:10 AM
Congrats and good luck! I'm biased to Talia. heehee. our DD is Tahlia and we pronouce it differently from you, similar to PP.