PDA

View Full Version : Baby Noah's birth story (long)

Hallie_D
02-03-2005, 04:43 PM
I think this story takes longer to read than Noah took to be born...!

I was induced with my first DS and after 5.5 hours of hard labor on pitocin I was begging for an epidural. Since I’d really wanted to have a natural labor, I was upset at having to be induced again, but hopeful that I could have more of the kind of labor I wanted since I’d switched hospitals and practices and was with a group of midwives instead of an OB.

We got to the hospital at 6:30 am and into the l&d room a little after 7 am. My midwife showed up around 8, just as the first dose of antibiotics arrived (I was positive for GBS). She told us that she wanted to wait until 10 to start the pitocin in case my labor went quickly. If I’d only known…

Unlike my previous experience, they started me on a very small dose of pit and gradually increased it until I was having regular contractions. What a difference already—during my first labor my contractions started out at 70 seconds long and about 90 seconds apart. I was also allowed to move around and change positions, instead of being confined to the bed in a reclining position like with my first labor.

At 11 the midwife broke my water and my contractions got much more intense. The second dose of antibiotics started at noon, and by the time it was finished, about 12:30, I was starting to get pretty uncomfortable and asked to get into the tub. It took about 20 minutes for it to fill and during that time my contractions got much stronger. I was at just about 5 cm when I got into the tub at about 12:50. While the tub was filling another of my midwife’s patients came into the hospital already at 10 cm so she had to run to another l&d room but called one of the other midwives from the group to come sit with me while I was in the tub. Luckily their office is only 3 blocks away from the hospital so she got there very quickly.

It was wonderful to step into the water but as soon as I sat back I had a really powerful contraction. After about 3 more I started thinking to myself that I was never going to be able to make it without an epidural if I had to endure a few more hours of these new contractions. Since I was having some back labor I decided to get on my hands and knees for the 5th contraction. I immediately felt the urge to push and told the midwife. She checked me and was surprised to find that I was fully dilated and told me to go ahead and push—but asked me to lean back again since she couldn’t deliver the baby while I was in a hands-and-knees position in the tub. As soon as I sat back I lost the urge to push, so she let me get back on my hands and knees for another few contractions. Pushing seemed like the most natural, primal thing to do, but it was so effective that I had to get back in a sitting position pretty quickly. It was much more difficult to push without that feeling that I was working with my body, but apparently I did OK since Noah made his appearance at 1:14, only 24 minutes after I’d gotten into the tub!

Noah was 7.5 lbs exactly and 18 inches long, with a head full of black hair. He is a good nurser and was up to 7 lbs 15 oz at his checkup on Tuesday. His big brother is adjusting well and loves to give him hugs and kisses!

new_mommy25
02-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Hallie, that is a wonderful birth story. Thanks so much for sharing. I was thrilled to see you included pictures. Noah is a beautiful little baby and Elijah looks like a very proud big brother. I love your name choice ;)

deborah_r
02-05-2005, 02:39 AM
What a great story! And Noah is so cute! Congratulations!

DDowning
02-05-2005, 02:42 AM
Congratulations!!! Welcome little Noah!

mmaimp
02-05-2005, 10:31 AM
It's wonderful to hear that your second birth was much better than your first, even with the pitocin.

Noah is beautiful thank you for including pics.

trentsmom
02-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Congratulations! And both of your babies are beautiful!

mamahill
02-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Great story, Hallie! So glad everything went well and Noah sounds like a champ! Best wishes for lots of rest and an easy recovery for YOU!

loewymartin
02-16-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm so happy to hear that this delivery was much more inline with what you wanted. It sounds like the warm water did it's trick (worked for me with Alia too!) and let you relax enough to dilate fully.

I love the pics - Noah is precious and the one of both boys is terrific! Please take care of yourself and keep us up to date on how things are going!

Michelle
Mom to Alia born 5/16/02 and the peanut due 8/13/05