PDA

View Full Version : ISO "Mary Poppins" in Long Island, NY

dms619
09-09-2005, 01:10 AM
I don't know if this is the correct forum or even appropriate to ask, but here goes - I am desperately searching for a nanny (preferably live-out) in my north shore long island home. I've had someone lined up since April, she was suppose to start the day after labor day and called me the night before and said she's real sorry but she's moving to NJ to be near her boyfriend! I guess in the long run I'm much better off.

But, with being scheduled to start work October 1 - I'm freaking out! Does anyone have a nanny they have outgrown - or know someone?

It's such a serious decision and I'm afraid of the "agencies" (heard a lot of bad things). I've gotten some wonderful advice on these boards and am hoping someone might know someone.

Thanks so much,
Debbie
DD born 6/24/05

MarisaSF
09-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi Debbie!
Congrats on the birth of your daughter! Sorry to hear about your situation. Also sorry to say I'll be of no help, but the subject line caught my eye. I'm originally from the Huntington area. My family's still out on LI, but I'm in CA. Anyway, even though LI is a huge place, I don't often come across people from there.

If I were looking for a nanny, I'd browse craigslist and ask moms with nannies in my neighborhood (nannies often know other nannies). Actually, when I was pregnant, I bought something baby-related off craigslist. Turned out the family was moving and they recommended their great nanny to me. Not sure why one wouldn't trust the agencies (but I have no experience there!), but don't they screen and do a lot of the work you'd have to do for you?

Anyway... good luck and I hope you find a great fit for your family!

dms619
09-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Dear Marisa,

Hello to a fellow Long Islander! Thanks for responding. We live in Bayville, which is pretty close to Huntington. Since posting my message, I think I found someone. She is coming tomorrow for a "test drive". I hoping everything works out okay. I don't go back to work until October 3rd, so I should really have a good sense by then. Keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks again,
Debbie