PDA

View Full Version : Silk Chinese Brocade Pouch Slings...NEVE you've got to see this!

daisymommy
08-07-2003, 10:35 PM
I was looking around on Ebay--that place always gets me into trouble! And lookee what I found! A pouch style sling made from the most beautiful silk Chinese brocade fabric, lined with hemp fleece! And the best part is, they're only $45.00! I'v egot to have one, and I have a feeiling Neve will too ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2339637469&category=20412#ebayphotohosting

Edited to add:
It's midnight and I just bought the red silk one...shhh...don't tell hubby! I got an email back from Heather who makes these, and she was so nice! She said this is her introductory price, and they will be going for $65 in the next few weeks--so get them at this great price now while you can! I warned her the ladies here would be swarming her with orders! ;)

stillplayswithbarbies
08-07-2003, 11:45 PM
LOL I just saw that on eBay and was coming here to post about it! Let us know how you like it when you get it.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

parkersmama
08-08-2003, 12:04 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! These look so wonderful! I ended up buying one, too (impulse purchase all the way!). I've been eyeing the zolos but really, strongly prefer a pouch and these look perfect!!

csa12
08-08-2003, 04:46 AM
oh my Amy thanks for posting this link these are beautiful pouches!!!

I was eyeing the Zolos too, but missed the sale--drat!! But these pouches look like a nice combo of the kkfleece poouch AND the Zolos.

But like you I have to wait till midnight to order--hee hee

Thanks again,
Cheryl

nofeea
08-08-2003, 06:38 AM
Wow- these look nice but I've never been a sling wearer so help me out here...
When do you guys usually use your slings (shopping? walking? why a sling instead of a stroller?) and when does the baby feel too heavy to carry that way? At 18 lbs., my DD already makes my arms ache when I have to hold her for long periods of time. I don't know if my back could take it...

egoldber
08-08-2003, 06:59 AM
I started using a sling with Sarah when she was 10 months and outgrew the Bjorn. She didn't walk until almost 19 months and I easily carried her in the sling. I STILL use a sling at 2 years and 30 ounds. It is SO much more comfortable, but you have to make sure to wear it properly. Some good sites to see slings and pouches being worn properly are:

www.kangarookorner.com
www.taylormadetreasures.com
www.peppermint.com.

HTH,

toomanystrollers
08-08-2003, 07:50 AM
Please stop, my wallet is moaning :) These are gorgeous. I'll be good and wait for the reviews to come in. Keep us posted!
-Pam

daisymommy
08-08-2003, 08:06 AM
Joshua was 25lbs. two months ago at his 10 month checkup. I can't wait to see how much he weighs now at 1 year! I can hardly hold him in my arms for 5-10 minutes because he's so big and heavy. However, we went into Washington DC last weekend and I carried Josh around in a sling for 2 hours without the slightest bit of ache! I could've carried him longer than that if I had needed too. That's teh beauty of a good sling. You can carry heavier babies without it taking a toll on your arms and back.
I use my slings (yes, I have several) so much that I have two in the car--1 pouch, 1 ring style, and several others in the house. There are times when a stroller is just too much hassle, and a sling makes me feel so much more foot-loose and fancy free! (a hard thing to do with a baby!)
Imagine pulling the stroller out of the trunk, getting Josh all strapped in, then manuevering it around just to mail off a package in the post office, then get him out, back into his carseat, fold up the stroller and put it back into the trunk.
OR
Plop Josh into the sling I'm wearing (takes 5 seconds), and off we go. When I'm done taking care of business, back into his carseat he goes and we drive off! Much easier! And of course there are times when your child has had enough of their stroller (such as shopping at the mall) and only wants to be held and carried around. Thats when the sling comes out. Great for Mommy's arms, and baby's security and comforting.

Slings take a little while to master, I bought two different ones and returned them when I became frustrated and couldn't figure out what all the hype was about. But then a friend showed me how to wear a sling, and the rest is history. They are worth their weight in gold! If I could only suggest one piece of baby equipment that most people don't have but NEED, it would be a good sling!

Blue Jeans Mama
08-08-2003, 08:24 AM
She doesn't show any pictures of hip carrying. Can you use it that way? I know you cann do it with the KKFP but the fleece pouch gives a little. Would it be hard to carry an older child in this pouch with a fabric that doesn't stretch. I know the KKCP fabric stretches a little.

I don't have a pouch so I am clueless

Cathy

daisymommy
08-08-2003, 08:34 AM
Yes, you can use any pocket sling in the hip position. I have a sling I made of non-stretch fabric, and only wear Josh (over 25lbs.) on my hip.

egoldber
08-08-2003, 08:57 AM
I also only carry my DD in the hip carry in a pouch style sling. It has to fit fairly snuggly to be "hands free", but it works really well!

stillplayswithbarbies
08-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Sometimes it is too much hassle to get the stroller out. Sometimes she just wants to be held. Sometimes I want her to go to sleep and she is fighting it and the sling will put her right to sleep.

Sometimes you can't take a stroller somewhere. We toured Biltmore house last weekend, and they had an elevator to go to the second floor, but not the third floor and not the basement. We plopped the babies in slings and off we went to the basement. Without slings, we would have missed all the best parts of the house. (the servants quarters, kitchens, laundries, bowling alley, swimming pool, all the cool stuff was down there!)

I also use slings around the house. I work from home two days a week and I can put her in a sling and still have two hands free to type. She's happy to be held and I can work.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Blue Jeans Mama
08-08-2003, 09:09 AM
I don't "NEED" another sling, I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I
don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I
don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling,I don't "NEED" another sling.

This is TOOO hard LOL I have a petunia Pickle Bottom coming in Black Jaguar color. One of this sling would look good with it. Which ONE?

Cathy STAY AWAY You can do ti LOL

mama2be
08-08-2003, 09:18 AM
...and I had to have one of each!!!!!

LOVE THEM!!!! HOenstly I am eyeing 3 of them...JMarie has the PP bag that matches that red bamboo one...I am almost certain the amtch is a slam dunk...

I honest to god think I might treat myself to three of these...am I losing my mind????

egoldber
08-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Do you need another hobby? :) It's very easy to sew your own pouch style sling...

daisymommy
08-08-2003, 09:28 AM
I'm so sorry I did this to you and your wallet ;) But I couldn't resist!

csa12
08-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Seriously!!! I need to keep saying that to myself as well. In response to Beth's post below, I am thinking about buying my own sewing machine to make my own. That's the truth! :)

Now if there's a way I can construct my own strollers than I would be all set--LOL!

Momof3Labs
08-08-2003, 09:54 AM
Neve - try one first and make sure that it works for you! Maybe the gal will give you an "option" to order two more at the introductory price within the next month. Not all pouches work equally well, so I'd suggest making sure that this one does before buying three ;-).

These sure are pretty, but I will also wait for the reviews before ordering! I had a problem with the sizing on the non-adjustable pouch that I bought, so I tend to try to stay with adjustable ones.

Blue Jeans Mama
08-08-2003, 09:57 AM
I can't sew a thing. I am SOOOO no talented LOL

I don't even have a machine :(

And if I pay someone to do it it would turn out to be almost the same amount of money.

I am going to be a good girl today. I am going to try LOL

I already have a HH, a cotton Zolo and a Sutemi.

Wondering Would DS look good in a red silk sling ?????

Cathy Who is crazy for even considering one. Who also always tell herself "You can sell it on ebay" but then she never does LOL

stillplayswithbarbies
08-08-2003, 11:29 AM
That is what is allowing me to resist. The pouch slings are my "emergency" slings to keep in the diaper bag and to use at home while I am mostly sitting down. If I were going to get a silk one, it would be a Zolo that would be more versatile so I would get my money's worth.

I don't need another sling. (as anyone who saw my collection in Asheville can attest to - one daddy even thought I sold slings I had so many)

But these are so pretty. . .

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

nohomama
08-08-2003, 12:49 PM
While I'm far from the seamstress my mother is (very far), I do sew. I've sewn a number of slings as gifts for friends and have loved doing it because it's a simple yet satisfying project. I'd never thought of making a lined pouch sling until I looked at these pictures. Can any of you more experienced sewers help me out? It looks like this seller a cut a swath of each fabric sewed the bottom seem, put the right sides together and sewed all the way around on either side leaving a small hole to turn. Sound about right? Do you think the bottom seam (wear the baby's bums usually sits) is as strong as a French seam, or at least strong enough that it's safe?

I'd love some input here. I just made a ring sling for a friend with a new baby but would love to make her pouch sling as well.

egoldber
08-08-2003, 01:00 PM
I think that's basically how you would do it. It would make the sling a little thicker than usual, which I wouldn't personally like, but I can see where some would find it really cosy. So I might pick slightly thinner fabrics than usual.

I made one recently with just a basic seam and it doesn't seem to have any trouble holding Sarah.

HTH,

toomanystrollers
08-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Okay girls, fess up, who bought all the pouches! Last time I looked there was four left. What colors did you order?
-Pam

mama2be
08-08-2003, 03:18 PM
I didn't realize it wasn't adjustable for some reason...
You are wise-thank you...I'll keep you posted :)...they sure are pretty!!!

mamahill
08-08-2003, 03:23 PM
:o They're all gone! Just as well - I don't *NEED* another sling... (like that stopped me before?!)

daisymommy
08-08-2003, 03:56 PM
WE all did! I've been in contact with Summer (sorry--I said her name was Heather, but it's Summer), and I told her we were going to keep her busy for awhile with our sling addiction! The last email I got from her, she said that all my friends bought her out! hee-hee, good work ladies! She is a 5 months PG WAHM. She said she was going fabric shopping tommorrow. I asked her to look for some black silk for me to, and asked if I liked this first red sling, could I get another at the intro. $45 price. We'll see what she says :) Also, I was out purusing the fabric stores today myself, and I saw that if I were to buy just the silk (not even counting the fleece lining) it would cost more than she is charging! Wow! Thats a great deal!
Here is her email address.
[email protected]
I'm sure if you emailed her, she would get some more fabric instock and make you one too! Just tell her Amy sent you, ha-ha ;)

zen_bliss
08-08-2003, 09:55 PM
oh great! way back when i asked kristin at hotslings if she could make a brocade pouch lined with hemp fleece, how about that! almost my perfect sling... now if it could be made adjustable, that would be my perfect pouch!!

parkersmama
08-11-2003, 11:55 AM
Amy, have you heard from Summer over the weekend? I emailed her and haven't heard back (about fabric colors). Thanks!

cinrein
08-11-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting a review. Please let us know how they are when you gals get your sling.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

kristie
08-25-2003, 03:11 AM
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has heard more about these slings? Did anyone receive theirs yet? Do you like it? Has anyone been in contact with Heather, the lady who sells them or have an email address for her?

Thanks!

luvmypeanut
08-25-2003, 06:48 AM
I didn't buy the pouch but I'm very tempted and was waiting for the reviews. She has a website now - www.chicslings.com - and her email is [email protected]

Good luck!

shevam
08-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Me too! I was even at Wal-Mart looking at a sewing machine! My Dh would kill me though!

Oh well!

Sheva

heidi_timms
08-30-2003, 03:20 AM
Has anyone gotten theirs yet? I would love to get a review as well!