PDA

View Full Version : Where can you try on slings/pouches in person?

dueinmay
08-24-2003, 05:23 PM
I've been reading all the posts on various slings and pouches, and I really want to try one again. I tried the KK fleece pouch when DD was a newborn, and I didn't find it comfortable -- too warm, plus the fabric kind of overwhelmed me (I'm short & petite and felt all wrapped up!). Now DD is about 15 wks (and almost 14 lbs). When we're out I wear her in the Bjorn, but I want to give babywearing around home a try again, and I can't imagine wearing the Bjorn all day!

I dread purchasing and returning (or not being able to return!) a series of internet sling purchases. What I really want is to be able to try some different styles on before buying. Has anyone heard of where to do this?

Rebecca

It's a girl!

Momof3Labs
08-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Usually a local lactation consultant or La Leche League group can help. Or, see if there is an attachment parenting group in your area.

Alternatively, tell us where you live. Maybe you live near someone on this board with a sling collection!

shevam
08-24-2003, 09:33 PM
If you live in or near NYC I think that on the West Side a store called The Upper Breast Side (I think it's in the 70s) sells a bunch of different brands of slings. I've never been to the store but am planning on checking it out soon. I think it's a store mostly for breastfeeding mothers, which I am not anymore, but I also want to check out some slings or pouches in person. I am hoping to go in the next couple of weeks so I will write when I check it out.

Sheva

susabusa
08-24-2003, 09:38 PM
If you are interested in Zolowear.com slings you could always contact Darien and see if there are any distributors in your area, as they would be able to help you try on the Zolowear sling.

Stephanie

Marisa6826
08-24-2003, 10:39 PM
Ooh! Sophie's opthalmologist is in the 70s on the UWS. I might just have to make a pitstop next week!

:)

-m

cvharris
08-24-2003, 11:26 PM
I'm in the same boat! I've been wearing the bjorn b/c I can't get a hang of my zolo or KK pouch.

I haven't tried La Leche yet. If anyone lives in the Chicago suburbs who can help me, please let me know! Thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
08-25-2003, 09:35 AM
I went to a Baby Expo in my town yesterday and there was a woman there selling Maya Wraps.

Find a La Leche League meeting near you, and ask about slings there.

Find a local attachment parenting group. This Yahoo Group has a database by state of AP moms. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/APmomsconnect/

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

gremlin44
08-25-2003, 09:45 AM
I'm in Oak Park and have both of these slings and a nearly one year old who I use them in. I'm more than happy to do what I can to help out.

Momof3Labs
08-25-2003, 01:36 PM
I'm in the far north burbs and have a fleece pouch (not KK, but similar) and the Zolo. I haven't worn a sling with a newborn, but I'd be happy to try to help!!

lizamann
08-26-2003, 01:11 PM
Ooh, Chicago moms, we should have a sling party. I live in the Lakeview neighborhood. Want to come over?

Beth

shevam
08-27-2003, 10:33 PM
Just an update:
Went to Upper Breast Side the other day....
Well, it wasn't what I was expecting. It was very small but packed with goods ( slings, nursing bras, pumps, breastfeeding products...)However, it was soooooooooooooooooo busy that the woman (I forgot her name) couldn't/wouldn't really help me. There was a very long wait and she was helping so many people at once that it wasn't very helpful. The slings that she sells are Maya, Sling-eze, zolo, and new native. you can play with them yourself, and she'll show you how to put the baby in 1 way, but she really won't spend any time with you and show you the different positions.... she says, "watch the video" which I didn't find to be so helpful since the reason I went there was to have a live person show me how it works. I've already seen the video and still could use some help. Needless to say that since I didn't find it to be so helpful, I would rather order on-line now and find a mom on the street and ask for help. If I were to go back to the store, I would call in advance to find out a time when she is not busy because I'm sure she has a ton of knowledge and could be very helpful when she is not so busy. I don't want to discourage others from going to her b/c she's a working SAHM and I wouldn't want to hurt her business or reputation. I just think I would have had a better experience if I had called and come in when it wasn't so busy.

Sheva

nofeea
09-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Maybe it will be less busy after Labor Day?
What was the cross street? (71st and __?)

shevam
09-01-2003, 10:47 PM
I want to say that it is bet Amsterdam and West End but that part of 71st is where Bway and Amst cross so not sure which one it really is. It's on the South side of the street in an apt building on the first floor.

If you go write back and let me know if it was less crowded and if she spent more time with you. I really wanted to like it and go back!

Sheva

nofeea
09-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Well, I finally made it over there, and I must say I was underwhelmed :(. Now, to be fair, I admit that my timing wasn't the best- I didn't get there until a little before closing time. That being the case, I would have understood if they suggested I come back another time when they would have more time to help me. Instead, I just said that I wanted a quick peek at slings and after they pointed me in the right direction I got to try on a Zolo. The older woman there was very nice but she directed me to her daughter with any questions. Now, maybe the daughter was just having a bad day, but she made me feel completely unwelcome. Her tone was irritated and she just did not make me feel comfortable. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt and just assume that everyone has a bad day sometimes... but even so, I would not be eager to go back there. It was a lot less busy at the end of the day though;)... Write again if you decide to back... I'd love to know what happens ! Good luck :)!

C99
09-09-2003, 06:48 PM
I know someone who carries Zolos, Mayas and some other kind of sling and lives in the SF Bay area.

shevam
09-09-2003, 10:20 PM
It seems you had the same experience I had! I guess I didn't write all the details, but I was there with 2 friends and they said the same thing. The older woman only deals with the bras. She seemed very nice and helpful, but didn't know much about the slings. The daughter did seem annoyed and she made me and my friends uncomfortable. We felt she was very condescending. Now that you had a similar experience I definitely will not be going back. I wouldn't want to give her the business. Actually, I ended up ordering an adjustable fleece pouch from KK and it's great. If I end up wanted a Zolo or something else in addition, I would rather order it direct than have to deal with that lady! She seems to have lost her touch, definitely didn't give us the warm fuzzies! At least you got to try on the Zolo!
Thanks for keeping me posted on your experience there!

nofeea
09-10-2003, 02:14 PM
O.K., so now maybe I don't feel quite as guilty about giving her a "bad review." Thanks for adding the rest of your story...