PDA

View Full Version : Sling Gurus..Need inexpensive sling for newbie...

new_mommy25
08-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Hi. I was talking to my best friend last night and she was saying what a pain it is to go to the grocery store because her daughter only wants to be held. I asked her why she didn't use a carrier and she said she had a Snugli type but it was just too complicated. She then said she'd always wanted to try a sling but thought her daughter was too heavy now. I told her that people use slings up to toddler age, but I could tell she was a little skeptical.
Anyway, I'd like to buy her a sling as a gift, but don't want to spend a lot of money in case it doesn't work out for her. Do you think a hotsling would be approriate? I want something that's really easy for her since she is new to the sling game.
She is 5'4 1/2 and about 125-135 pounds.
Her daughter is 4 months and about 17 pounds.
Any suggestions on what to buy?
Also is there a place where I could get a book or pamphlet with directions on how to wear the sling? She doesn't own a computer so she doesn't really use internet. Also she lives in a different state so she can't really come over to my house and it check out either. If not then I will just print off pictures and directions from whatever website I buy from.
Thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
08-29-2003, 03:54 PM
A Hotsling may work for her, but a baby that young will do better in a ring sling. It won't be easy to grocery shop with a 4 month old in a hotsling. There is a ring sling that costs about the same as the Hotsling, but I don't know how well made it is. Can she borrow one to try it out, and then get one of the better made ring slings?

the best instructions I have seen are at

http://www.taylormadetreasures.wahmbiz.com/instructions.htm

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

kfcboston
08-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Wow - your friend sounds almost exactly like me!! I'm same height and weight, and my DS is 6 months old and about 20 lbs.!! I just got my new hotsling yesterday and am very excited about it!! I'm finding it much easier on me and DS than our Bjorn. He sits in it kangaroo style right now b/c he can't sit up on his own yet (for hip carry). Basically, it's indian style against the front of you, facing out. Sure, he's still heavy but if you must carry him (which most parents must at some time or another) it beat the Bjorn as well as no carrier at all! Wore him at BRU today and it worked out great.

Kristen from hotslings was very helpful, and I'm sure she's answer any of your questions as well. Her return/exchange/alteration policy seems good too. Here's a link she sent me - www.newnativebaby.com/productmain.html/ - in response to my questions re: how to wear my DS.

HTH!

Edited to say: this hotsling is my first experience with slings, except for a handmedown NoJo - I couldn't figure out the rings! :-)

C99
08-29-2003, 08:28 PM
>better in a ring sling. It won't be easy to grocery shop with
>a 4 month old in a hotsling.

I've done it; it's not that hard. I got my HotSling when Nate was about 3 months old and started wearing it then. It works really well when shopping.

new_mommy25
08-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Unfortunetly I don't think she could borrow a sling. She lives in a really tiny town in Californis I don't think she knows anyone with a sling beyond what you can find at BRU. Thank you for the link to the instructions, they are very informative. Do you own a Taylormade treasure sling? Maybe I will get her one of those instead. It's hard because I know nothing about slings myself.

zen_bliss
09-02-2003, 06:24 AM
it's so nice of you to help your friend! be careful with 'cheap' slings though, i've read about & known mommies that got a nojo or one of the other mass-market one-size-fits-none-properly slings and had such a blasted time with them that they just gave up on slinging altogether.

rev jan makes custom slings for $25 shipped (more if you want to get fancy with fabric). http://www.sleepingbaby.net/slings.html you pick (or provide) your own fabric, specify how wide for the shoulder, how long for the tail, etc. i am beyond delighted with mine. very well-made and comfy pleated shoulder that stays spread and in place over the ball of your shoulder, and she even did some nifty decorative stitching too. i don't see how she makes anything on these -- she does it to spread the love of slinging gospel. i've read great things about taylormadetreasures, but i don't have firsthand experience with those. hallelujah to all the happy babies!

Jan Andrea
09-02-2003, 04:58 PM
I'm getting some fabric in shortly, too -- 7 oz (sturdy) cotton twill in a number of different colors -- and those slings will be $20 shipped, because I was able to get the fabric at a pretty low price. Honestly, I'd feel bad charging any more for a one-layer sling, since they're so easy and quick to make.

calebsmama03
09-04-2003, 03:41 PM
I just wanted to say that you are such a sweet lady! My mom made me 2 slings - one from the maya pattern and one from yours. I use the maya more, just because I like the fabric she chose for that one better, but I really like your shoulder pleat design. VERY COMFY. You are so sweet to not only sell yours DIRT CHEAP, but to also offer a pattern for free! Slings seem to have such a "niche" market, and I think some manufacturers really gouge the prices, fancy fabric or not! I think any mama who wants a sling should be able to afford one, and you make that possible. Kudos to you (and your cute little boy!)
Smiles!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Jan Andrea
09-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Wow, thanks! I have actually been fairly astounded by some of the sling prices I've seen -- most are so easy to make, and materials are pretty cheap in bulk. I guess that's what the market will bear, though. Who knows.

There are other sling-making pages (I think I have links to them from my page) with even better ideas, like going to thrift shops for old sheets ($1 some places, apparently) and making slings to give away with those. The woman who suggested that carries a couple of freebie slings with her all the time so she can give them to women who look like they could use the help. I'm not so good -- I carry my business cards (which have the URL for the directions printed on them) and give those out when someone expresses an interest, but since Stephen outgrew his sling, I haven't gotten to do that very often lately. Once the new baby comes, I'll be evangelizing again :)

calebsmama03
09-07-2003, 11:55 AM
I haven't checked your page for a while so I didn't know you were again expecting - CONGRATULATIONS!!
:)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Jan Andrea
09-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Thanks! We have about 3 weeks to go -- but now that I'm 37 weeks, we're good to go for our homebirth any time, so I'm feeling pretty good about that. I got the big batch of twill, so want to quickly sew up a bunch of slings before the baby comes so I can just send them out later. So much to do, so little time :)