PDA

View Full Version : Pouch Differences

jd11365
08-30-2003, 12:04 PM
Is the only difference between the Hotsling and the KK Adjustable Cotton Pouch adjustability? Seems like the Hotsling would be a better deal?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

lizamann
08-30-2003, 12:38 PM
I have a Hotsling but not a kkacp (at least not yet!) so I am not really qualified, but I've done lots of research in this department.

The KKACP is made of cotton with a bit of stretch to it. Some of the fabrics have lycra with the cotton, some have poly/cotton (I think). So there is a lot more give with that pouch, which I presume makes it more comfy. And the adjustability does seem like a really good thing. With the hotsling you have to get it in just the right size. What works for one carry might not work as well with a different carry for the hotsling.

That said, I really like my hotsling, but it's not what I would use all day and expect it to stay comfy. It does leave red marks on my dd's thighs when I use the hip carry, but she doesn't complain. Because it doesn't stretch, I haven't mastered getting her in the other positions.

So if you're going to just use it for short periods, the Hotsling is fine. Heck, get 3 for the price of one KK and have one for every wardrobe combination. But I'm guessing the KK is more comfy. If it's not, someone please post about it!

I know there are folks on these boards who have both, so I'm sure they will be much more helpful.

Calmegja
08-30-2003, 12:42 PM
The Hotsling doesn't adjust.

I have both. I like the Hotsling for a quick run in and out, but I don't like it for long periods of time, because it isn't as comfy as the KK pouches. She's added padding for the legs now, so that the fabric doesn't dig into an baby's legs, so that's a plus, but the fleece pouches, by design and by material, are more versatile, comfier, and easier to use. Hotslings definitely have their place, and the quality is first rate. If I were only going to get one, though, I would get a KK pouch. And I would get a KK pouch above all other slings and carriers (I'm a sling freak, waaaaaaayyyyyy too many)... ;-0

The key for comfort with a pouch is to keep baby drawn in close to your center of gravity, and above your waist. With a non adjustable sling, it has to be perfect fit for comfort....and as a baby grows, it may be harder to maintain that perfect fit with a non-adjustable sling. Not impossible, just harder.

If you want to try out the idea of babywearing, you may want to get a Hotsling, just for trying it out. But if you're reasonably committed to the idea of babywearing, and you really want to wear baby a lot, I would have to endorse the KK pouch over the Hotsling...

That's my two cents, anyway! ;-)

lizamann
08-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Jessica, do you have a fleece pouch or a cotton pouch? Or both (hee hee.) I have been wondering about the comfort level of the cotton one.

Calmegja
08-30-2003, 02:28 PM
I've, um, (hides mouth with hand) got 3 fleece pouches. ;-)

I've heard that the cotton pouch is good, but not quite as perfect as the fleece one.

I use Zolos in the summer when my fleece is too warm, but the rest of the year, I'm a fleece pouch gal.....

jd11365
08-30-2003, 02:48 PM
I just gave in an ordered the KK Cotton Pouch...can't see fleece in Florida. I'm tired of carrying this baby without support...I'll let you know how it goes.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

toomanystrollers
08-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Good Choice Jamie,
I really like my KKACP. It so easy to throw on in a hurry when dd has a sudden burst of the grouchies :) I looking forward to wearing my fleece one in the fall and maybe a silk zolo for Christmas!

Have fun,