PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first sling- Anyone else have this problem with baby?

peasprout
08-31-2003, 12:05 PM
I got my first sling for DD who is 9 months old. I got it so I could carry her in the hip carry position. The only problem is, she likes to lean her upper body all the way to one side or the other when she's in it! I'm already wearing her very close to my body. She's such a squirmer and I end up keeping one hand over her because it feels like she's going to fall out, which kinda defeats the purpose of a sling. Does anyone else's baby do this? Any suggestions? Thanks!

egoldber
08-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Sarah did this initially with slings (she was 10 months old at the time). As she got used to riding in slings, she got less squirmier with it, although there are occasional days when she is just too squirmy to wear.

And make sure she is in the sling properly and is comfortable. She should be sitting deeply in the pocket of the sling, with her knees higher than her butt. And the fabric of the pocket should be all the way to the back of her knees and all the way to her armpits.

What type of sling are you using?

HTH,

lizamann
08-31-2003, 01:10 PM
If you tell us the type maybe we can give you more specific suggestions. Perhaps the outer rail (the part that goes around the outside of the baby, as opposed to the inner rail which is under baby's knees and against your body) is too loose and needs to be tightened somehow. Depending on the type of sling, there are different ways to do this.

jjj
08-31-2003, 02:49 PM
I have seen a baby that worked reALLY hard at arching backwards and he didn't succeed in getting out, but it is scary! I think that the slings best use is to spread the baby's weight, but you still need to be able to support in a pinch. It's a mistake to think of them as safety carriers - but I really do love mine because of the hug "snuggle factor". :-) jj

peasprout
08-31-2003, 09:03 PM
I didn't realize there were different types of slings! I ordered mine from a SAHM who makes them. It's plain and unpadded. Does that help? Cuz other than that, I don't know what type it is. Sorry,...first timer!

egoldber
08-31-2003, 09:41 PM
Do you adjust it by pulling fabric through two rings (called a "ring sling") or is it all one solid piece of fabric (called a "pouch sling")?

Here's an example of a pouch sling and instructions: http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_how_afp.shtml

Here's an example of a ring sling with instructions: http://www.taylormadetreasures.wahmbiz.com/instructions.htm

HTH,

peasprout
09-01-2003, 01:12 PM
Yup, it's a ring sling! :)

egoldber
09-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Did those directions help?