PDA

View Full Version : Hoping for sling / carrier recommendations for BIG 5 mo. old

mom2b2003
08-31-2003, 09:38 PM
Hi all you baby carrying mommas! My DS is a bit of a big boy (at 4 mo. he was 28" and 18 lbs 1 oz.) and I'm a bit on the short side (5' 2").

He loves to be carried and I love carrying him so I am looking for sling or carrier recommendations that won't kill my back (I've had some problems) esp. as he gets bigger and longer.

He really loved the baby bjorn, but his time in that position is really pretty much over. His favorite position is being held so that he can look over my shoulder.

Help!!! I want to be able to continue carrying and wearing my baby as much as possible. TIA for your advice and suggestions.

Kate

Mom to Clell Owen 3/31/03

Momof3Labs
08-31-2003, 09:55 PM
How would he do in a hip carry position? Colin loves the view - he can look behind us or in front of us to see what is going on!

Either the Zolowear sling or the KK AFP would serve you very well with a big baby. Or were you thinking of going with something less sling-y and more like the Bjorn?

mom2b2003
08-31-2003, 10:05 PM
Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I would really be open to something sling-y. I was given the Bjorn and it really worked well up to a point but I think we're both past that now.

He would probably really like the hip carry position, as he likes to see what's up all around. What's the KK AFP (sorry for my ignorance!)?

Thanks again for your help

Kate

beckyr88
08-31-2003, 10:22 PM
KKAFP is the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch.

You can get it at www.kangarookorner.com
A whole lot of mamas here LOVE their KKAFP! I am ordering one this month!

Good luck!

mom2b2003
09-01-2003, 08:03 AM
Thanks Becky and Lori. I just was looking at the Kangaroo Korner website and they look really nice.

Kate

ktdid74
09-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Hi Kate- just wanted to throw in my vote for the zolo sling. I'm also 5'2 and have a HUGE baby girl- 17lb13oz at her 4 month check up (she's 5 days older than your little guy). I used the BB for as long as I could but finally jumped on the zolo bandwagon. It's so great!! I've found it a lot easier to use than I expected and it doesn't hurt my back at all. I can tell if it's not in the right position cause then I get sore. I feel like it really helps distribute her weight comfortably. I wear it at the grocery store, Target, Home Depot, etc. I've had so many people ask about it, too. just wish I had bought it sooner. Mackenzie loves being carried in it, too. HTH-

mom2b2003
09-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Thanks!!! I too wish I had gotten both, but I was a little fearful that a sling would hurt my back or be difficult to maneuver.

I'm going to a store that carries the zolo sling this afternoon to try it out. Thanks again for the advice!

Kate