PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a link to a pattern for a sling.

kristie
09-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Hi,

I am looking for a pattern for an adjustable kid sling with rings.

I was going to just order a kid sling for my daughter for her upcoming birthday, but my husband thought it would be really great if I made one for her!

If anyone has any links or suggestions I would really appreciate it! Also, if you know where I can purchase smaller rings for her, that would be great!

Thanks,

Jan Andrea
09-02-2003, 11:10 AM
I don't think you'll really need a pattern -- depending on how big she is, a yard or maybe 1.5 yards of fabric will be plenty, probably 15" wide or so. Just hem the two long edges and one short edge, and sew the rings in on the other edge -- you could get fancy with pleats and stuff, but a MayaWrap-style accordion fold would be plenty, since she won't actually need to use the sling as a weight-bearing device (and thus won't need to worry about back pain!). You should be able to find smaller rings at a craft store or the crafts section of a large discount store -- I think 1.5" or 2" rings would work, and since they're not weight-bearing, the thin macrame rings will be fine.

The MayaWrap website has directions for making their sling (http://www.mayawrap.com/sewSling.shtml) -- I think if you use the measurements above with their directions, you'll come up with something just lovely. Or you can use mine, but overlapping pleats are pretty much overkill on something this small :) (http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/sling.html)

daisymommy
09-02-2003, 02:59 PM
I was going to say the same thing as Jan. Use the Maya Wrap website instructions for a super simple sling for your DD. I would make it less wide (such as the 15" Jan suggested). It is an awful shoulder style for carrying real babies, but should work great for dolls or stuffed animals! Walmart carries pretty gold tone macrame rings in small sizes that should work perfect. You could get some pretty flower print fabric and make a lovely sling. What a nice present!

zen_bliss
09-02-2003, 08:14 PM
this sounds adorable! will you post a pic of her wearing it sometime?

kristie
09-03-2003, 03:14 AM
Hi,

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think it will turn out cute. I was going to order one with my order for a Zolowear sling, but it was $75.00 for a kid sling in the oriental fabric. I figured since I have similar fabric I will just make my DD's. I am getting mine from Zolowear though.

I will definatley post a pic of her after her birthday!
I think it will turn out cute!