PDA

View Full Version : What positions do you use for breastfeeding in Maya Wrap?

heatherly2475
09-04-2003, 10:37 AM
I purchased my first sling (there WILL be more forthcoming; I just know). Decided on the Maya Wrap at the recommendation of a LLL Leader. (Have my eye on a Zolo and a Baby Bjorn, but that's several paychecks later.) My question is this: what positions can I use to discreetly breastfeed my month old DS? My hope is that when he is with me at work, I can feed him without much fuss in the sling. Any recommendations? FWIW, when I am at work, I will mostly be sitting in front of a desk and it's a small laid back kind of place, where I could get away with feeding him in the sling if it is rather discreet. Thanks in advance.

lizamann
09-04-2003, 11:18 AM
I nurse Nora in a cradle position. Her head is at the side opposite the rings, and her feet stick out of the end under the rings. I then use the Maya tail to cover up my belly, since I'm more shy about that than about people seeing her head at my breast! I've walked around city streets like that and no one was any the wiser. When sitting the belly exposure is less of an issue. You could cover up her head instead if you wanted to. Maybe even the head and tummy simultaneously, depending on the size of your tail.

For me it definitely took some time to master. I was very self-conscious and awkward in the beginning which I think actually draws attention, but now I'll whip it out anywhere and nobody seems to care.

Beth

stillplayswithbarbies
09-04-2003, 11:46 AM
I use a cradle position. When she was smaller, it found it easier to have her head at the ring end, but now it works better to do it the "right" way and have her head opposite the rings. Her feet stick out the other side, she is laying on her side in the sling.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

calebsmama03
09-04-2003, 03:06 PM
I agree with the other ladies who replied - the cradle hold is best for nursing an infant. I have a maya -type sling (homemade using their pattern) and I nurse my son in the cradle position even now (he just turned 6 months old and is about 15 pounds and maybe 25 inches long). I can walk around the grocery store nursing him WHILE pushing the cart if I've got the sling adjusted right :-) I usually have him with his head on the ring side because I've found it easier to adjust that way. He lays on his side and kind of curls around my body. I either use the tail to cover my exposed side (if I have to pull up my shirt to nurse) or to cover him if it's chilly. I also use the sling when he's with me at work to nurse discreetly (your office sounds similar to mine). It works out great! Mayas are supposedly not the most comfortable, but I still LOVE mine. I can't wait to try out a "better" sling!

Have you checked out this site? http://www.taylormadetreasures.wahmbiz.com/instructions.htm#Nursing Positions
She has great pics of nursing positions (cradle for infants, vertical for older babies/toddlers).

BTW - if you attend LLL meetings, you might bring your sling to one and ask another sling mama to help you out at first. They are great there. It definitely took me a while to get the hang of it, and I wish I'd thought to do this earlier (I didn't start attending LLL until he was a few mos old).
Good luck, and let us know if we can help out any more!!

Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03