PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in a Wilkinet co-op?

Dcclerk
09-05-2003, 08:02 AM
I know that there was recently a Sutemi co-op that seemed to work well. I thought that a Wilkinet co-op might be nice because it seems to be a carrier that most people like and can be used from infancy. (Plus, I love all the different fabrics!)

I am in the process of emailing back and forth with the creator, Sally Wilkins, about the possibility but don't want to spend too much time on it if people wouldn't be interested. (Hopefully, I'll find out soon how much of a discount we could get.)

Here are some pertinent links...

http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/BabyCarriers.asp
http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/Videos.asp
http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/Photos.asp

Please let me know what you think!

Edited to add:
I just talked to Sally (she called from England!). Right now, if we order just more than 3, it would be about $35-40 US plus shipping. She pointed out that we may need to ship them in small batches because of import tax and what not. I imagine that the more that we get, the more willing she will be to discount or cover the shipping, etc. She was very nice and I am really impressed that she called me herself.

heytootsy
09-05-2003, 09:25 AM
I'm in!

jayhjay
09-05-2003, 03:44 PM
I might be interested as well. I am looking for somethign more carrier style to replace my Bjorn. I also have some slings, but I think this would be useful as well. Also, doubt DH will use a sling and I might be able to convince him to use one of these!

toomanystrollers
09-05-2003, 06:26 PM
I would be interested as well.

Thanks,

new_mommy25
09-06-2003, 09:48 AM
I'm definetly interested. I've had my eye on one for a while..

zoesmom
09-08-2003, 07:52 PM
I'd be interested, too!

Beth

Dcclerk
09-09-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm very sorry... I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I was up from 2 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. last night because I am so overwhelmed with all of the details of this. I totally forgot that you can be subject to an import tax for a group purchase from England. I have been looking over all kinds of websites and it looks like it is a pretty low threshold to trigger the tax... around $100. I am having a hard time figuring out how to do it (and frankly the lack of sleep is not doing me much good since I have to go back to work pretty soon). I'm thinking that probably the best bet would be to see if we can all order seperately and have it shipped to directly to our own homes so that we avoid the tax, but will have to pay more in shipping. Maybe we can do something like have a Baby Bargains discount code that we put in when we order which is only good for a certain amount of time. I think that it would end up being about $10 to ship from England to each individual home so please use that in your calculations.

I'll check with Sally and see if that will work. Otherwise, I totally apologize for getting your hopes up-- I'm clearly too new at this! :(

toomanystrollers
09-09-2003, 07:17 PM
Thanks Kerri for the update and your efforts. Hopefully Sally can figure something out - a BB discount code sounds like a great idea!

Dcclerk
09-10-2003, 01:16 PM
I just talked to Sally Wilkins again. She thought it was too involved to do a co-op, too, so she agreed to a discount. The terms are as follows:

She will give a 15% discount (plus no VAT, of course) through Oct. 15 for everyone at Baby Bargains. The discount will not show up on the order form (she said that she is a technophobe and can't figure that stuff out:) ) but they will hand change everything. In the special instructions just ask that the Baby Bargains Book 15% discount be applied.

Everything depends on the exchange rate, of course, but it looks like the Wilkinet will cost about $40 US plus around $10 for shipping. Sorry that the co-op didn't work but hopefully people can use this. It's a neat, family-run, family-focused company that I really look forward to supporting!