PDA

View Full Version : Does KK AFP leave red marks in hip carry position?

smkinc
09-05-2003, 04:30 PM
I just want to buy one more sling--I currently have an OTSBH that I use, but it's too big. I'm thinking I'll buy a KK AFP, but I'm worried that it may leave red marks on DS's legs in the hip carry position. With all of the padding in the OTSBH, this is never a problem. KK AFP users, does it leave red marks?

Thanks,
Mary (Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03)

susabusa
09-05-2003, 05:02 PM
I don't really know what all the fuss is about red marks are whether or not they are an indicator of comfort for the baby. I was holding DD yesterday and she was naked and my arm and hands left red marks. I would be more concerned if the baby fussed or tried to move or seemed uncomfortable. Babies usually let us know when they aren't comfortable.

Just my opinion.

Stephanie

heytootsy
09-05-2003, 10:26 PM
I am sorry, I thought I read KKACP! The fleece pouch is fantastic, it is the cotton one I do not like!

Yes Yes Yes!!! I know what you are talking about. I took exact measurements before I bought one so I got the right size. I am wearing her correctly and have adjusted the sling in every possible way. She gets terrible red marks behind her knees in the hip position. Once, her foot turned blue! I do not have this problem with any of my other carriers. I have lots of carriers, and I wear DD a lot. We both do not like this carrier. I dunno, maybe it is just me. I just cannot find a way to wear it comfortably!

Calmegja
09-06-2003, 07:23 AM
Not that I've ever noticed on either kid. And I love the AFP.

csa12
09-06-2003, 08:34 AM
Hi Mary -

My KK AFP fits snugly and my DS has chunky thighs, but he does not seem uncomfortable in the hip carry position. Sometimes he gets red marks, but more often not. I like to make sure his legs are wrapped around my waist (vs. hanging straight down) and I bring the edges of the pouch down and folded over his bum and his legs as much as possible. I can see where both Stephanie and Christine are coming from. Sometimes DS appears uncomfortable but more often I am amazed at how he loves to hang out in the pouch in what seems to be the most uncomfortable positions! I would try the pouch first with your DS and see how he likes it. You can always return it.

HTH,
Cheryl

daisymommy
09-06-2003, 10:00 PM
One way to minimize red marks with an unpadded sling is to make sure the baby is riding tilted back slightly, with weight resting on his bottom. NOT tilted forward, knees down, resting his weight on his legs. As others have said before, knees up! Meaning their knees should be higher than their bottom. it took me awhile to learn this trick, as I started out with an OTSBH as my first sling, so I never paid attention to the leg postioning details. But it makes a huge difference in baby's comfort with a pouch or unpadded sling. I think you'll find if you follow the "knees up" principle, your baby won't get red marks on his legs. plus, your baby will probably be wearing pants when worn in the fleece pouch (since it's mostly suited for cool/cold weather). This is added protection on little legs.

smkinc
09-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your advice. I have a KK AFP on the way and can't wait to try it!

Mary