PDA

View Full Version : Help! Do I need a silk Zolo ? A question for slingmakers . . .

csa12
09-05-2003, 09:45 PM
First let me say that I DO NOT need to be spending more money! But I tried on a beautiful silk Zolo today (thanks Neve!) and was amazed at how comfortable the shoulder was. Now I am hooked. I am curious to know whether the comfortable "feel" of the shoulder can be duplicated if I attempt to make a ring sling myself. Are the existing patterns that people have shared here as comfortable? I would like to make one myself, but really like the Zolo, but don't need to spend that much money, but it seems like the comfort is worth the money . . . I could go on and on.

Appreciate any feedback,
Cheryl

egoldber
09-05-2003, 10:12 PM
You could get a cotton Zolo instead. They are significantly less expensive and still very attractive. Yes, that's it, you're SAVING money by buying a cotton Zolo.... :)

Momof3Labs
09-06-2003, 08:34 AM
Or try making one using Rev. Jan's instructions. Her shoulder design is very comfy too!

csa12
09-06-2003, 08:37 AM
LOL, that makes perfect sense to me!!

csa12
09-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Hi Lori - I may try doing that. Have you been happy with yours? I just saw that you have both, is one more comfy than the other? I am still new at sewing and just got my sewing machine, but this may be a fun project to try out.
Thanks!

Momof3Labs
09-06-2003, 04:42 PM
I would say that the Zolo is slightly more comfortable, but I also tend to reach for it because it is neutral (natural cotton vs. red Solarveil). But when I use the Solarveil sling, I like it almost as much as the Zolo. And price-wise, it is sooooo much cheaper! I'd suggest that you give it a shot, and if you like the finished project as much as I do, it might be worth splurging on a Zolo (or maybe not - just buy nice fabric and do it yourself)!

Jan Andrea
09-06-2003, 07:36 PM
If you end up sewing one, let me know if you have any questions. I'm constantly trying to get the pattern easier to follow; I've been sewing for about 12 years now, so I take many directions for granted, which could be bad for beginners. I do think an unpadded sling is an excellent first project, since, besides sewing in the rings, it's mostly sewing straight lines and seams.

csa12
09-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Hi Rev Jan!

I definately will keep you posted on how it goes. Thanks for posting your pattern online too!
Cheryl

daisymommy
09-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Just wanted to say I used my sling (made with Jan's pattern) and wore Joshua (who weighs 25lbs.) around a craft festival today. He felt light as a feather--I am not exaggerating! I really couldn't feel his weight pulling on my shoulders or back at all. It's like the sling with it's magic pleated shoulder pannel was doing all the work! :)