PDA

View Full Version : Which Kelty backpack to get?

newmomnyc
09-06-2003, 01:10 PM
I know this has been discussed before, and I've read previous threads on this topic, but I want to know what people think now that they've made their purchases, done more research, etc.

Basically, we are debating between the Kelty Basecamp and the Ridgeline. We'll probably use the backpback for around town walks, to the park, the museum, maybe for more extended use for travel (?), and possibly for some walks/hikes (nothing too intense/strenuous, but maybe for a few hours at a time). I like the Basecamp b/c it's lighter and has the mesh back-- less hot! Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks!

marinkitty
09-06-2003, 04:02 PM
No advice to offer, but glad you posted this because I've been debating the same thing. I want to get one for DH because she is almost out of the Bjorn and I am treating myself to a sling, which he won't wear.

Holly
Mom to Mia, 3/17/03

Rebecca1118
09-11-2003, 01:20 PM
I just registered for the Kelty Base Camp - was nice and lightweight and seemed to fit well - comfortable. I just tried it out in the store - so no "live" experience.

lizajane
09-11-2003, 07:49 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOVE our ridgeline!!!!!!!

we haven't done any major hiking, but dh had it on for 5 miles recently and was very comforable. i wore it for about an hour two days ago while coaching field hockey and was totally happy the whole time i had it on. ds is about 20 lbs and you can't feel the weight at all. and he LOVES it. even if he is cranky and tired, he still laughs up there.

a tip- we shove a towel around his front and the sides to keep him straight up. ds is not yet 6 months and can't quite sit up on his own. so the towel keeps him from flopping over to one side to hang out and chew on the backpack.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. think everyone should have a backpack. and mr baby is SO SO SO cute it in, i can hardly stand it. if i had a digial pic and not a "real" pic i would post it.

can't go wrong with either pick, i don't think. just get one! :)
(ps we are big bjorn fans and still use it... but we are so excited about the backpack, we use it for walks now instead of the bjorn or the jogger.)

newmomnyc
09-15-2003, 08:56 AM
I'm still trying to decide on which Kelty to get, and I want to get one today (dd weighs 21 lbs and I just can't do the Bjorn anymore!) We went to Buy Buy Baby to try them on, but they didn't have the Ridgeline there. My husband really liked the Basecamp, though. I'm leaning towards that one, but then I just read the review above of the Ridgeline. It seems that the Ridgeline might be more backpack than we need (?) And wouldn't the mesh back on the Basecamp be cooler? Please, I hope to hear more feedback! tia

Jakobs_mom
09-15-2003, 03:25 PM
I just wanted to say that i bought the summit last year and was very please with the purchase. The reason I went with the summit and not the ridgeline was because if the fit. The ridgeland fit my husband fine but I could not get it to sit comfortable on my hips without the straps putting pressure on my shoulders. We tried them on at an REI store and one of the sales rep was helping and we still could not get it right. The summit seemed to fit me better. So I stress to people you should try to find a place to try something like this on before purchasing because its a lot of money to spend on something if it does not fit you right because you will never use it.

Hope this helps.

Leigh-Anne