PDA

View Full Version : Soft pack carrier - Wilkinet, Ergo, Sutemi?

jayhjay
09-06-2003, 05:49 PM
I am looking for a soft pack style carrier to use primarily for a toddler (2.5 yrs, 28 lbs). I have a Zolo and am getting a KKAFP for my upcoming newborn. But I would like somethign that we can use to carry the older one easily in the back carry when the other has the infant. Ideally it would also hold an infant so I can use it with the baby too, but that is not a requirement.

My husband will probably be the most frequent user b/c I will likely have the baby and he is not a sling guy. He is 5'11" and slim. But I will need to use it too and I am short (5'2") and very large busted. I also have a very short waist (not much room between chest and waist!) so I need somthing that won't hang too low, and ideally won't over accuentuate my already large chest.

Any suggestions? We are looking at the Ergo, Sutemi and Wilkinet. Any others to consider? Appreciate any help!

Momof3Labs
09-06-2003, 06:22 PM
When you use the Wilkinet in a back carry position, I believe that the straps cross between your boobs, so they are VERY accentuated. Otherwise I would consider joining the co-op that is being discussed here!

mamicka
09-08-2003, 05:23 PM
the directions that came with my wilkinet say the straps do not cross in front when wearing on your back. i am also about 5'2'' & large-busted but I haven't tried the back carry yet. I'll try to try it tonight & post again. front carry is awesome, facing both in & out.

jayhjay
09-08-2003, 07:47 PM
That would be great. I think the pictures show it crossed in teh front. Or maybe I just assumed it did b/c they cross in the back when worn on the front. THat would be a big plus for me to avoid looking totally humungous! BTW, what is the weight limit on it? Suitable for a toddler? Or better for the baby? I know the Ergo goes pretty high.

helenyoo
09-10-2003, 09:39 PM
I wanted to let you know that I just bought a Ergo and I feel like I'm free again! I used the baby bjorn for 3 or 4 months with my son and once my son hit 15 lbs I couldn't carry him in it. Now with this Ergo, i can comfortably carry my son on my back or in the front. Both ways were very comfortable. It distributes his weight very well hip belt and padded shoulder straps. I was finally able to take trips on the subway again.

Lukesmomma
09-11-2003, 08:53 AM
I only have the Wilkinet - and I love it!! It is very comfortable and Luke always falls to sleep in it. He doesn't always like being in the vaious other slings I have (although, they are quicker/easier for when he wants to get in and out). The only problem with the Wilkinet is you need a little bit of room to lay baby in it and then to strap on. Great design though.

Still thinking about the Ergo or Sutemi for when Luke is bigger and for back carry....although I still have not used the back carry function on the Wilkinet. Anyone out there with experience for comparison??

Btw Luke is 11 weeks old and is about 14lbs 11ounces.
Karen.

jayhjay
09-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Can't seem to find the weight limits for the Wilkinet. I emailed their customer service and they send me a PDF of their instructions. But it doesn't list an upper weight. Anyone have one who knows? I need it for a toddler mostly so it needs to go probably until 40 lbs. Right now I am leaning toward the Ergo, but the Wilkinet sale is definitely intriguing!

gravymommy3
09-14-2003, 03:13 PM
I have a sutemi that I purchased on the COOP. I have used it a couple of time for hip carry (I am not a back carry person) and while it is fine for the hip carry, Hayden prefers the Zolo (or running wild!). If anyone is interested email at [email protected]