PDA

View Full Version : Ergo vs Sutemi vs ???

egoldber
09-07-2003, 07:14 PM
So I'm looking for a back carrier for Sarah. Even though I love my slings, sometimes I'd like to be able to carry her on my back for awhile. We have a Kelty backpack carrier, but honestly, I find that to be too big and overwhelming for me to use by myself. DH loves it though.

I have a line on a gently used Ergo, so I may get that. But I am wondering how all the Sutemi coop folks are liking theirs. And what about the Wilkinet? Is it inappropriate for larger toddlers, because I love the simplicity of the ties.

FYI, DD is about 28 pounds now and I am short, only 5'1" .

Thanks!

csa12
09-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Beth -
Have you thought about trying a didymos/ellaroo/girasol? I am expecting an Ellaroo baby wrap tomorrow that I ordered from peppermint.com. I too would like to wear my DS on my back and was looking for something that would support DS's weight without overwhelming me. The Ergo and Sutemi look attractive, but I am intimidated by the straps/padding. I wanted something less structured and versatile. The method of wrapping looks complex at first but after reading it a few times it doesn't appear to be that difficult. Once I get it I will post a review on how the back carry works out.

HTH,
Cheryl

egoldber
09-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Now see, there you go adding another carrier to the list. :)

I am really intrigued by those carriers, but I am just afraid it might be a bit hard to do in the Target parking lot by myself, you know? And at this age, she is up and down a lot, so I really need something that I can get her in and out of fairly quickly by myself.

mugs
09-08-2003, 07:35 AM
i asked the same question not long ago and didnt get as much feedback as i had hoped. hope you get more, but i did remember readingthat teh sutemi needs 2 people to use, but someone here said that the ergo you can do on your own, but it takes some getting use to. i too am looking for a back carrier for teh same reason.

let me know waht you end up with!

hilary

csa12
09-08-2003, 08:04 AM
I know I'm pitiful. :) I plan to use the ellaroo walking dogs and for housework, so it may not be the best choice for errands. But I may test it out on a few quick trips to see how manageable it is/isn't. I tested out the Ergo for a couple of days before returning it and liked how quickly you can use it by yourself, but didn't favor the chest strap. So if choosing between that and the Sutemi, I'd go with the Ergo.

Good luck and keep us posted on any new options that you may happen upon!
Cheryl

lizamann
09-08-2003, 08:21 AM
I've been using the wrap-around types for back carries (only a couple times by myself because I did have to work up my courage to try it alone) and I really like them! They do take some finessing, but have you watched the Ergo video on their site? (Of course you have, who am I talking to here?) It seems like she is doing much of the same fussing, like bending over with a straight back, reaching around with a hand on baby all the time, and fiddling with straps. Honestly, it didn't look any easier than with the wraps. And the wraps are just so pretty!

Just trying to make your decision all that much harder! Being in NC (right?) you could try something lighter like the Ellaroo. It has fringe on it which I thought would be way too hippy for me here in my yuppy Chicago neighborhood, but it's really pretty IMHO. But I also love my didy and girasol, which are thicker with no fringe :(

That said, I did in fact just order an Ergo last night. I had to exchange my Ellaroo for a longer one and what do you know, the blue Ergos are on sale at Peppermint.com. Only $4 less than usual, but it was enough to put me over the edge (it doesn't take much LOL!)

Good luck deciding!

Here is a video of someone putting on the baby in a wrap. It's not great because she fusses with it more at the end than I do and doesn't get it as secure as I like, but it gives you sort of an idea. You can compare the 2 videos for an idea. Click on the haikis video link at the top of the page (it's all in Finnish!)

http://www.babyidea.fi/storchenwiege/storchenwiege.html

lizamann
09-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Oh - just have to add that the Ergo was just improved over the summer, so you will want to find out if your used one is the old or new. I don't know the differences, though I think the new one is supposed to be more comfy.

egoldber
09-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks. I have indeed watched both the Ergo and that Finnish video. Frankly, its that Finnish video that is keeping me from trying a wraparound sling. That just seems to take WAYYY too long with a wiggly toddler and I would NEVER do that in the Target parking lot, LOL!!! I didn't think the Ergo looked so bad.

The used one I am considering is the older style.

I also read through some old threads last night and found these:

http://www.packababy.com
and
http://www.babyback-tie.com

Anyone have any experience with these?

Calmegja
09-08-2003, 01:44 PM
Uccomama does.....paging Deb!!!!!!

I have a Sutemi and an Ergo. I prefer the Ergo.

I think, and it's just my experience, that the Sutemi has too much fabric, and it just isn't as user friendly as the Ergo.

Don't get me wrong...If you line them both up, we're talking about a 95% like forthe Ergo, vs. 85% for the Sutemi. I just prefer the ease of the Ergo....(and I have the old style)....

emmasmama
09-08-2003, 04:15 PM
I think that someone needs to invent the Kangaroo Korner adjustable fleece "carrier" :)

I was thinking that this is such a great sling and I wonder if it could also be translated into a carrier style, with two shoulder straps - the fleece distributes the weight so nicely without all that extra padding and you could just "stretch" it on, instead of messing with all those buckles and wrapping stuff around.

I know, random. Not even sure if it would work, but I feel like the more I look at carriers, the less I'm convinced that there is a right one for me... but I love the KKAFP, just wish it didn't bother my back after a while... sigh, it's just like the strollers - you can never have it all I guess ;)

Anyway, will be interested to see what other feedback is posted - these would also be the two carriers I would consider, when DD is ready for them. She is busting out of the Bjorn and it's killing my shoulders anyway.