PDA

View Full Version : window of opportunity for sling wearing?

nofeea
09-08-2003, 08:38 AM
I was all ready to jump on the sling bandwagon when someone mentioned to me that babies who are not used to being carried in carriers often don't like them. DD is 10 mos. already and although I used the Bjorn with her when she was an infant it was infrequent and she hasn't been in there in a while. Recently though, she's gotton quite clingy (you know, that I Want Mommy stage ;) ) and I need to be able to get around with her and still have use of both my hands. So now I'm ready for a sling but is it true that it's too late for her?
Are there any of you out there who started using slings later on?
Thanks...

egoldber
09-08-2003, 08:47 AM
That is exactly the age I started using slings with Sarah. I had stopped using the Bjorn a couple months earlier because she was too heavy for me in it, but I found I still really needed a carrier. We've never looked back!! :)

In addition to a sling, you could consider other soft carriers like the Wilkinet.

http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/BabyCarriers.asp

HTH,

daisymommy
09-09-2003, 12:00 PM
I started out with a sling at around 5 months, not too late, but later than alot of others. It took Josh a little while to get used to be confined in the sling, but now he cries when I get him OUT!
I would say if your DD is used to being held on your hip, then she will quickly get used to a sling, and love it. She will come to know that when you get it out and put it on, she gets to be carried, and will eagerly let you put her in. Get moving once you get her postioned, & don't fuss too much with it, or she will lose patience. I usually do some adjusting to get it more comfortable once I start walking around. That way Josh is distracted. I'd give it a try, and if it doesn't work out, return it. Although I will say it took me awhile (a good month) to really fall in love with my sling and get confident wearing it. It takes practice, but then you can't live without it! Good luck, and happy baby wearing! :)

nofeea
09-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks. Which sling do you use? I can't decide on one! (I'm very enticed by the silk brocade look...but those prices!!:7)

Momof3Labs
09-09-2003, 05:03 PM
We started using a sling around 5 months, too. Colin is a VERY active boy but sits well in the sling as long as we are walking around and he has things to look at. I also save my adjustments for when we are already moving. Now he sits so beautifully in a sling - it is just wonderful!!

daisymommy
09-10-2003, 10:58 AM
I tried to reply directly to "nofeea", but it keeps putting my message at the end of the list, instead of directly under her post. Anyone know why this is?

I have a:
Over the Shoulder Baby Holder
Cotton Zolo
Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch
Lightly padded KK sling
Solarveil sling
Mesh water sling
Silk brocade pouch sling lined with soft hemp fleece (on it's way)
Cotton stretch pouch slings I make myself.

I would say go for a KK Fleece pouch first (easiest to learn with), and after you've gotten the hang of slings, a cotton Zolo (if you can afford it), or a lightly padded KK sling.

Good luck, and Happy Baby Wearing!