PDA

View Full Version : Really dumb sling question

Marisa6826
09-11-2003, 10:44 PM
When doing the hip carry, is the baby supposed go on your dominant side?

Thanks
-m

lizamann
09-11-2003, 10:46 PM
Most people would put baby on non-dominant hip so that their dominant hand is free to do stuff. But there are the select few who learned it the other way for some reason and prefer that.

Marisa6826
09-12-2003, 07:50 AM
But if you put it on your non-dominant side, your dominant shoulder would be obstructed from lifting higher...that's my quandry.

I will have to try it both ways....Old dog, new tricks...*sigh*

-m

lizamann
09-12-2003, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I guess you'll have to put baby down to do your jumping jacks! Or forget the jumping jacks all together - eating is really easy with it on the dominant shoulder!

Marisa6826
09-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Hah. Jumping jacks. Can't say I've done them since probably eighth grade ;)

I tend to put the dipe bag on my dominant shoulder, that's why I was wondering.

I'll try it today.

-m

nitaghei
09-12-2003, 12:48 PM
Marisa,
I put the diaper bag on my right (dominant) shoulder, and the sling as well, so that DS is on my left hip, and the shoulder strap of the diaper bag is under the sling. This seems to work for me.

HTH

Nita

egoldber
09-12-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm a little weird, because I write left-handed, but do almost everything else right handed. I wear Sarah on my left hip so that my right hand is free to do whatever I need. I do run into a problem when I need to sign for something. But it IS possible to sign a charge card slip wearing a baby on the side you right with. :)

C99
09-12-2003, 01:31 PM
I don't know what you're supposed to do, but I always wear Nate on my right hip and I'm right-handed.

Calmegja
09-12-2003, 01:53 PM
I wear baby on my left hip, and I put my dipe bag on that shoulder, too.

I'm right handed.

Maybe I shouldn't answer this question, though, because everyone says I wear my watch on the wrong hand, as well....

Marisa...I left you a message in the dipe forum..... ;-)

nohomama
09-12-2003, 02:41 PM
I'd tell you to sling your babe on whichever side you normally carry her. I'm right handed and have always carried and slung Lola on my left side, but I do know people who carry and sling their kids on their dominant side. What's right is what's comfortable and that's different for different people.

emmasmama
09-12-2003, 03:49 PM
I second... which hip do you naturally gravitate toward carrying your baby on? For me it's my right, even though I'm right-handed. But I prefer to hold DD on my left shoulder when I'm carrying her that way (not in a sling obviously). It's all an individual thing. There's no right or wrong :)