PDA

View Full Version : zolo v. maya -- I don't get what's different about them...

kristine_elen
09-12-2003, 08:22 AM
There's a recent post w/some preferring one over the other. I've looked at both online and I don't really get what's different between the two. Can you fill me in? Also, do you know of stores in Baltimore/DC that sell them?
Thanks.

daisymommy
09-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Theres alot of difference in my opinion. Besides the fabric (obviously) the shoulder "cap" area is different. I found the shoulder on the Maya to be too difficult to use. It doesn't open up and spread out over your shoulder for comfort. It stays slim and thus digs in. The way the fabric leads up to the rings (because of the shoulder) makes it difficult to adjust. The shoulder design on the Zolo allows it to sort of fan out over your shoulder, making it very comfortable.
The rail edges on a Zolo are serged, making it very soft on your babies legs when worn in the hip carry, so they don't leave red marks. The edges on a Maya (and every other unpadded sling for that matter) are hemmed over. This can often cut into a chubby babies thighs--I don't know why, but most people find that to be true.
Also, the Zolo has a small pocket sewn into the tail for your keys, money, etc. so you don't have to carry a purse with you for quick outings. But that small detail is not why most people buy a Zolo!

If a Zolo is out of the question for you because of price, but you know how to sew, take a look at JanAndrea's sling pattern (the link is below). The shoulder is wonderfully comfortable, the ring area is easily adjustable, and it's VERY easy to make. Good Luck!

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/index.html?Baby/sling.html

lizamann
09-12-2003, 10:56 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with above poster, which again shows the different strokes thing (which is of no help to you...)

I feel that I get a much better shoulder spread with my Maya when I flip over the "shoulder cap flap" than I can with the Zolo. While I can get the Zolo spread on my shoulder, the pressure still seems to concentrate in the middle of the spread, making it irrelevant how wide it is. I still really like it and it's "comfy enough", but I am still working on achieving the "super comfy" shoulder that everyone raves about.

The rails on my Maya don't dig into dd's thighs, probably because there is enough fabric to kind of bunch up under there and act sort of like a pad.

The new Mayas have a patch pocket with velcro closures sewn on the tail.

As far as adjustability, I find the Maya really easy. It's definitely the easiest out of all my ring slings.

I still love my Zolo, but I don't find it any better than the Maya comfort-wise. Style-wise, however, that's a whole other story!

You can check their respective websites to see if there are any distributors in your area (you might have to e-mail Zolowear for that info, but there is a list on Mayawrap.com). Then maybe you can see them in person and try them both out!

HTH!

susabusa
09-12-2003, 11:54 AM
You can also take a diaper/burb rag and tuck it into the shoulder area to see if that makes it more comfy. I also have found that 1/2 an inch of where the rings are makes a difference. So I always try to move the rings slightly up or down and see if that helps.

My dream would have a small gel pad --like bike seats are made of -- that I could tuck into the shoulder folds of my zolo for long treks.

Stephanie

Calmegja
09-12-2003, 01:48 PM
In my opinion, there is a design flaw with the Maya. Even in the instructional video, the rings are positioned too low on the wearer's chest for comfort, and it makes it hard to keep baby properly positioned, and causes discomfort for the wearer. The way the shoulder cap functions, and the way the material is sewn makes it more likely to slip, and more likely to be worn incorrectly, even when demonstrated by an expert in the video. In my opinion. ;-) I have gotten rid of my Maya, and wear three ring slings, two Zolos and one KK Solarveil. I am very happy with all three in performance and comfort levels. The Maya didn't approach them in comfort, for me.

The key to carrying a baby easily and without discomfort is twofold, the position of the sling on the wearer's shoulder, and the position of the baby (above the waist, and drawn in tightly to the center of gravity). I find this very hard to do in a Maya, and much easier in a Zolowear sling, and in my Kangaroo Korner ring sling. I have been told, by people who have also tried a Maya and other slings, such as Rev. Jan's Magic pleated slings, and Taylor Made Treasures slings, that they are superior to the Maya design as well. The Rev. Jan and the Zolo are similiar in the pleat and folded shoulder design.

You can search the archives for past posts addressing this. Uccomama does a better job of explaining what we perceive as the flaw with the Maya. ;-)

Hope that helps...

ALso, on Kangaroo Korner, she's got extenmsive reviews of different slings, including the Zolo and Maya...

http://www.kangarookorner.com

Calmegja
09-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Couldn't you use one of the Dr. Scholl's "Gellin like a felon" inserts as a shoulder pad, if you need it?

That would seem to be the right design and shape for a sling....

susabusa
09-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Good idea! I'll have to try it out!

emmasmama
09-13-2003, 07:58 AM
Hey! Didn't know you were interested in a ring sling too. I made myself one from the sleepingbaby.net pattern (Rev. Jan) that has the pleated shoulder thing they're talking about.

Let me know if you want to borrow it and play with it for like a week or something to see if you like the feel of a ring sling. It's at my mom's house right now, but I can snag it for you the next time I'm over.

:)

mum1day
09-14-2003, 05:13 PM
I live in the DC area and no one carries the Zolo. I will be ordering mine directly from their website.

HTH!

cinrein
09-16-2003, 10:14 AM
I am in No. VA and have a cotton Zolo. You are welcome to try it out. Let me know. Several of us are also bringing our assorted slings/carriers to the get-together in a few weeks. It's a good opportunity to try out slings first hand.

Cindy\r\nMama to Anna 2/11/03