PDA

View Full Version : Ellaroo - anyone who has one of these have a detailed review?

emmasmama
09-13-2003, 07:18 PM
I really like the looks of this baby carrier and am wondering what everyone's impression is so far? The fabrics look beautiful and am wondering how these compare with the Didymos/Girasol for those who have tried both. It looks almost the same from the pics.

I like the fact that it's a little less expensive too, but am wondering if the learning curve on something like this/ease of use might be too much for me and if I'd prefer something like the Ergo, Baby Trekker etc. The only thing I don't like about one of those is the way the straps are on the chest. I'm not super busty, but am currently a D (hoping this will go down some as I continue to lose weight) and it looks like these styles might make me feel self conscious about my chest, whereas the wraparound carriers seem more comfortable as far as that goes.

And one last question... Do you think that the Ellaroo or similar wraparound carriers are MORE supportive, or LESS supportive when it comes to back strain, than something like Ergo, etc.?

Thanks!

added: the link for anyone who is interested in taking a look at the Ellaroo!

http://ellaroo.com/wraparound-carrier.htm

lizamann
09-14-2003, 09:59 AM
I have lots of experience with the didy/girasol and limited experience with the Ellaroo (new - worn about 3 times) but I'll give it a try.

Similarities: They are both really loooooong pieces of beautiful hand-loomed 100% cotton fabric. You can use any wrap-around carry with all of them.

Differences: The didy/girasol are definitely a heavier weight fabric. The didy/gir is about the thickness of a nice woven dish towel and the Ellaroo is much lighter and thinner. If you hold them up to your face you can see thru the ellaroo but not the others. I "think" I read somewhere that the 5m ellaroo is half a pound lighter than the same length didy. The didy/girasol would make a nice soft blanket to cover baby in for a nap, but the ellaroo wouldn't have the same cush to it. The Ellaroo has fringe (yeah! but I'm not a hippy I swear). Didy's don't, but they have tapered ends. Girasols have blunt ends and sometimes do, sometimes don't, have fringe depending on vintage.

In using, I feel like the Ellaroo is less cumbersome. The thinner fabric is not as hot and can be bunched up and out of the way more easily. It just feels a little more streamlined. Great for warm weather. In terms of comfort I haven't noticed a difference between all three.

I just got an Ergo on Friday and have only tried it once, but I can tell you that it doesn't feel as secure as a wrap around. With the wrap, I got a nice secure hold the first time I tried it, but the first attempt at an Ergo had baby arching out of it at the top. The wraps can be pulled up over the upper back and arms if you choose, but the Ergo leaves those exposed. I don't think it's as secure. As far as comfort for the wearer goes, I haven't tried the Ergo long enough to compare. But the wraps are REALLY comfortable. They don't even compare to a Baby Bjorn.

So that's my review, limited as it may be.

HTH

zen_bliss
09-14-2003, 07:24 PM
an inexpensive way to try this type of carrier is to get an x-long rebozo. it is (i am told) lighter weight than even the ellaroo and it has pretty hand-knotted fringe. there is a seller on eBay who has them from $20-$30. his name is bryant and i think his ID is faustosgallery. do a search for "rebozo" and almost all of them are his -- see if there is a pattern you like and email him to ask if he has the pattern & length you want. i just got one that is 3.8M and i am 5'6". i am just learning all these groovy carries, and the length seems perfect for me even with the front & back wrap cross carries. a 4M length would have given a longer tail but i don't miss it. good luck!

here is a good site for "how to" with lots of photos:
http://server.kopteri.net/~kkanava/index.php?currDir=.
after you click on one, the directions are in english.

emmasmama
09-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the review - this was actually really helpful to give me an idea of the differences!

emmasmama
09-16-2003, 02:52 PM
That is a very smart idea! If I decide to go the wrap-around carrier route I'll definitely consider doing this to save myself some money. I don't want to commit to a large expense when I'm not even sure if my baby will like it. She's so picky about how she's held - doesn't like to be cradled, period, so the cradle carry was always out and she prefers to face out, so I'm starting to wonder if I should even bother trying to do a sling/wraparound carrier with her beyond the KKAFP. She will only tolerate that for a short time as it is. It's a bummer because these all look so comfortable and I keep hoping she'll come around.