PDA

View Full Version : Are the Bjorn's good

TraciG
09-14-2003, 10:46 AM
I put one down on my registry so I guess it would be a good idea to find out, I read from my Baby Bargains Book they are good , anyone have experience with them, are they hard to use, comfortable ??

thanks

Momof3Labs
09-14-2003, 11:13 AM
They get mixed reviews here. But the general consensus is once baby hits 15lbs or so, the Bjorn gets very uncomfortable. So for the money, you won't get a lot of use out of it. We didn't use ours much because Colin never liked it much. It is easy to use.

I much prefer an adjustable pouch sling or a Zolowear sling - plus these can be used much, much longer than a Bjorn. You can search the board here for tons of info on both of these options.

nohomama
09-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Bjorns have their fans and their detractors --some love 'em while others hate 'em. I fall into the later group. I will say that I think they are, in fact, easy to put on and take off. Regardless, I was never comfortable wearing Lola in one even when she was itty bitty. It always felt as though she was hanging off my neck and after wearing her in a Bjorn for 5-10 minutes I had a lot of shoulder and back discomfort.

Front carriers that provide hip support are a better option in my opinion. Among the ones that do are the Baby Trekker, the Winklet, the and Kelty Kangaroo. Others will be able to give you a list of more possibilities. I had the Kelty and found it to be by far more comfortable than the Bjorn. It does have a learning curve however and takes some time to get the hang of putting on and taking off. Ultimately for me though, slings ended up being a better more comfortable option.

redhookmom
09-14-2003, 11:42 AM
My DD is now 18pds. and I still use mine. Since I find the BB comfortable, easy to use and my DD loves being in it I havn't given slings much use. I think slings are a little harder to get use to but once you do it seems that many Moms really love them. I think the one thing everyone will agree on is that it is so nice to be able to carry the baby with you. I love when I have her in the BB and feel all snuggly and warm. So definitely figure out which is best for you and enjoy!!

Jessica

August Mom
09-14-2003, 09:40 PM
DS loved the Bjorn and hated slings. I got so much use out of the Bjorn, it was well worth it. We got a Baby Trekker for carrying when DS got bigger, but he doesn't like it that much. He still prefers the Bjorn. I can still wear DS in the Bjorn at 18 pounds. It sometimes stresses my back if DS leans forward a lot, but it's not too bad. I would highly recommend the Bjorn. It think that it's quite easy to put on and take off BTW.

newmomnyc
09-15-2003, 10:30 AM
My husband has been carrying our baby in the Bjorn up until 21 pounds (so far) but we're going to graduate to a backpack asap. Anyhow, we both loved it, and it was a lifesaver the first few months when she needed to be held all the time. She seemed quite happy in it. I'd say for us that it was a necessity!

egoldber
09-15-2003, 02:21 PM
I really liked my Bjorn until DD was 18 pounds. Then it started to kill me to wear it it put so much stress on my neck. So I started using a sling with her at that point, and have never looked back. I adore my slings. I was able to carry my sleeping 28 pound 2 year old in Costco today for 45 minutes with no trouble.

Honestly, I truly wish I had not been "afraid" of slings when DD was a newborn. But at that time I thought that slings were only for earth mamas. I now consider my slings indispensible and they make my life so much easier. And slings are much more versatile than the Bjorn and are useful much longer.

All that being said, my DH would rather die than wear a sling. They are great for daddies that don't like slings.

HTH,

lizajane
09-15-2003, 05:17 PM
we are CRAZY about our bjorn. love it love it love it. we still carry a 20lb, 28 inch tall ds in it. our friends still carry their 20lbs, 28 inch dd in it. it doesn't kill my back. dh LOVES it. perfect for shopping, cookouts, walks... i feel like it is more secure than the sling. i like the sling for times when i would hold him, but i want a little help. i like the bjorn for "hands free." (i do only have one sling, so maybe i would use a different style more.)

if you think you will use it, you will use it ALL the time. if you think you won't use it, you won't.

KMommie
09-15-2003, 06:23 PM
The first time I tried to use the BB, it went pretty well. DD loved being in it. The second time, I threw out my back (poor posture with DD in the BB). DD was/is a chubby babe, so actually the BB didn't fit her too well. Her chubby legs were a tight fit and she wasn't that comfortable in it by the time she was about 15 pounds at 10 weeks. My SIL used it for months easily with her DS, though, so I think it depends on you and your baby. I found I preferred an adjustable sling, it was so much easier on my back, personally.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

helenyoo
09-15-2003, 08:26 PM
I loved the bjorn up until my son was about 2 or 3 months and then he was way too heavy for me to carry. After around 15lbs it was the end of the bjorn for me. My husband still carries our son in it and he's almost 20lbs now. I purchased another carrier - Ergo baby carrier for him and now i can carry him again! I just purchased the Wilkinet through the Co-op and I can't wait to try putting him in the front facing out! If I knew what I know now, i probably would've bought something else - something that lasts longer.

Karenn
09-15-2003, 10:20 PM
I thought the Bjorn was worth it's weight in gold those first few months! Colin was so happy in it! Mine was a loaner so I've given it back to the person it came from, but I'm already planning to fork over the money to buy one when #2 comes along. I did find it got to be too heavy around 4-5 months though. At that point I switched to a sling and I think it's been a great alternative.

But Beth, I've been wondering all day, how in the world does Sarah sleep in a sling? Do you have her in the hip carry position or another one? Maybe it's because Colin is so reluctant to sleep anywhere, but I just can't figure out how I could make that work with a toddler. I'd love to know how to do it.

egoldber
09-16-2003, 08:50 AM
I put her in a carry that is sort of inbetween a hip carry and a tummy to tummy. That way she sleeps cradled against me using my breast as a pillow. Its just like I was holding her sleeping, only the sling does all the work. I also pull up the outside of the pouch so that it comes up over her shoulders and keeps her cradled very snugly against me. Its comfy for her and me. :)