PDA

View Full Version : Wilkinet for a bigger baby?

csa12
09-16-2003, 07:49 PM
Thanks Kerry for setting up this co-op. Dh is going to freak if he knows I am considering another carrier, but I am only gathering info at this point. Has anyone tried to back carry their older baby? My DS is almost 8 months and he is 22lbs. I saw on the Wilkinet video that the model's baby is 6 months old and she looked pretty comfortable, so maybe this could work for a while with DS?

Appreciate any feedback,
Cheryl

helenyoo
09-17-2003, 03:42 PM
I just got my Wilkinet today - haven't tried it yet - but on the brochure it says that it's sturdy enought to carry a toddler 30lbs.

Dcclerk
09-19-2003, 02:03 PM
I'm not bold enough to try the back carry for my 3 mos DS but I'll ask my neighbor to do it with her 9 month old and let you know how it goes:)

Edited to add: I'm glad people are able to take advantage of this. I'm really happy with mine (and actually thinking of getting some more for baby gifts:) )

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/821.jpg

csa12
09-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Thanks Kerry!

Dcclerk
09-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Yesterday I finally got to have my neighbor try out the Wilkinet in the back carry. Her son is 9 mos and about 19-20 lbs. The caveat here is that she carries him everywhere so the weight is less of an issue for her than most people, I would think; she's just used to it.

Overall, she thought it was very comfortable and relatively easy. The padding is great on the shoulders and you can really bring the baby close which helps with the center of gravity. It is sonice to have hip support even with thin ties.

The downsides I saw were that you can't get the babe as high as you can with a frame carrier, which some babes prefer. Also, because you tie it, there is some potential for a little slippage down which means you have to readjust periodically. Finally, I think you would feel more secure that a shoulder wouldn't slip off if you tied the straps together, which probably isn't the most attractive. None of these would be a deal breaker for me but I wanted to point it out;). HTH!

csa12
09-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Thanks so much for the review Kerry and thank your neighbor too!

Ugh! I need another carrier like I need another foot but I may try this out!

Cheryl