PDA

View Full Version : Soft backpack carrier question!

Lisanaaron
09-17-2003, 01:23 AM
I've been carrying my 19month old with maya wrap and new native pouch since he was born and he's getting really heavy for me as he's approaching 30 lbs and I'm barely 5 feet and not getting bigger. It's too the point that my shoulder hurts and it's so unpleasant when we go for walks. I went to BRU and got my very first umbrella stroller but I still have mixed feelings about it since it does create a distance between us. I have a babytrekker soft carrier and he really doesn't like the front carry anymore, he always wants to get out of it. It allows for back carry but I really need a second person to help and fastening the straps on the babytrekker is a pain in the rear as you have to press hard on the hook and it's hard to look down with a baby in the carrier.

My questions are:
1. If I were to get a different carrier, what would it be? The ergo looks comfy but the chest strap doesn't. Is it really easy to put baby on and off using the back carry with the Ergo, do I need a second person to help? I read that that you do need a second person to help with the Sutemi.
2. Are soft packs better than framed ones? I know that with the framed ones it's easy to get the baby on and off? What would be a good framed one and one that is not too expensive.
3. Anyone know where I can get a used Ergo or Sutemi?
4. Anyone know where I can sell my babytrekker other than ebay?

Thanks so much for your help.

Lisa

emmasmama
09-17-2003, 06:58 AM
I don't have answers to most of your questions except #4.

There is a babywearingSWAP group on yahoo where people sell carriers and slings.

HTH,

redhookmom
09-17-2003, 10:14 AM
I have the Ergo. I can put in myself, but if there is someone around I ask for help. I do not use the chest strap. It fell off in the wash, I can't find it, and I don't miss it. Especially since my DD is a little bigger now I think not wearing the chest strap allows her a little more movement. My DD loves the Ergo, she squeals when she sees it and melts into my back when she gets into position.

As far as a framed backpack goes I have a vauDe Swing and a Kelty. I don't use the Kelty it is just to big for me, whereas my husband likes it. The vauDe is smaller and my DD feels more connected in it. I tend to use the Ergo in the house and vauDe out of the house. Not sure why...

Jessica

helenyoo
09-17-2003, 08:22 PM
I have the Ergo and I love it. I don't find the chest strap uncomfortable. I actually like it because without it, the shoulder straps tend to fall off my shoulders. ergo makes carrying my baby a cinch - he is close to 20lbs now. I haven't used the back carrying position yet - just once and had my husband help. I haven't tried it yet but if I do, I will do it over my bed by myself.

I saw an Ergo on ebay last week but it wasn't that much cheaper than the regular price so I don't know what to tell you.

How about listing on Urbanbaby.com? I listed my stroller for sale on it and got several people emailing about it. Of course, I ended eventually selling it over ebay and found it pretty simple.

don't know whether softpacks are better - I just find the frame packs big and bulky looking (my husband got an Evenflo snugli for $79)

lizajane
09-18-2003, 10:04 PM
i think frame backpacks are FANTASTIC. you can't feel the weight at all. it is all on your hips, and very comfortable. i, personally, think that they are easy to get on and off without help. but i do have practice. i am on the tall side, so definitely get an opinion from someone of your stature. but i have a kelty ridgeline and dh and i both this it is amazing. ds LOVES it.

Blue Jeans Mama
09-21-2003, 12:41 AM
Lisa

I use my Sutemi with my 19 months old 27# ALL the time and love it. I carry him in my back all the time and no I don't need a second person to help me.

For example I seat on the edge of the sofa and I make DS stand behind me close to my back. I grab his legs and sprade them around my weist (I do this while leaning a little forward. Then I grab the straps from the back and then cross then in front. Snap one side first then the second. SUPER easy.

Cathy