PDA

View Full Version : I have it narrowed down to 2 - Sutemi vs Ergo - help me decide!

emmasmama
09-18-2003, 09:05 AM
I've searched the archive but can't seem to find a concrete pro/con between these.

My stats:
*I have a 4 mo old, around 15 lbs, so she is heavy

*My baby is very curious and refuses to sit in her car seat carrier - I end up carrying her either on my shoulder or facing out when at the grocery store, etc. (help, i need my hands back!)

*I would prefer to carry my baby in an ergonomically correct position, 'sitting' vs 'dangling', hence I've nixed the baby trekker (even though it can face out, which I know my baby likes)

*I'm about average height - 5'5" - and wear a sz 14 and am on the busty side

*My back bothers me some, although I have no actual back 'problem', it's just from carrying her, lol :)

*We used a baby bjorn for a while, which actually worked well for us - she seemed to prefer it to the fleece pouch I have and I could carry her in it for hours, but now it kills my neck/shoulders/back!

Based on that info, do you think that one carrier might be a better choice over the other? Or is it purely a matter of taste and I just need to try them to see?

TIA!

emmasmama
09-18-2003, 02:08 PM
I got some good information from a woman on the babywearingSwap group on yahoo who has both of these carriers and thought I'd pass it along for others interested or trying to decide between these two carriers. I gave her my stats above and this is some of the advice she had to give:

The small Sutemi hips goes to 45". Ergo waist goes to 45". The Sutemi crosses over so you may or may not like that. Other "busty" moms wear them, but it's hard to say how you'd like the cross-over thing. When I'm nursing I am about a 38C/D and it's fine for me.

If price is the biggest factor:

A basic blue Sutemi pack would run you about $50 shipped, great price. You could try it out and order the head cradle shortly after, if you like the carrier. You'll want it when your baby is sleeping and when she gets bigger it becomes a higher back support.

The Ergo is comparably priced to the graphite deluxe pack (at full retail for both) when you factor in shipping. Like I said, I plan to offer an Ergo co-op in about a month. The discount would be $15 or so. No more than $70 shipped.

A few things to keep in mind:
1. The Sutemi head cradle is removeable/washable. The Ergo sleep hood is attached. I can't pull up the Sutemi head cradle by myself but dd has only slept in ours once and just leaned her head against me. In the Ergo sleep hood, she often slips sideways out of it but it's still helpful. I can put the hood up myself but it's a little awkward. Maybe someone else can offer a suggestion for ease. Dd has fallen asleep in our Ergo many times, from day one.
2. The comfort factor is trickier and there seems to be no consistency on this, though I think people agree that the Sutemi is much better for front-carry than the Ergo. I personally don't find the Ergo front-carry to be that bad but yes, I do find the Sutemi much better for this. It's about as comfy as a wrap sling to me! And back carry is great as well. You cannot rucksack in this pack however."

HTH someone who is also confused or on the fence!

Blue Jeans Mama
09-21-2003, 12:36 AM
I can't compare them both because I don't have an Ergo.

I do have a SUTEMI and love it. I mainly use it as a Backpack because DS is like 27#. But is SO comfortable I harly feel his weight.

HTH

Cathy