PDA

View Full Version : Carriers/Pouches/Slings for Hip Carry Under $50?

MartiesMom2B
09-19-2003, 12:02 PM
I'd like to get something to attach Martie to me on the hip for when we go to the grocery store, run errands, vacuum with. I'd really like to spend $50 or below. I'd love some suggestions. Is there anything that would allow me to have at least one free hand? Plus I've seen the kangaroo pouch, is the fleece too hot?

TIA!
Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Calmegja
09-19-2003, 12:29 PM
My absolute favorite carrier is the KK fleece.

I live in the Midwest, and I have used mine all year round, though in the hottest parts of July and August, I didn't use it so much outdoors.....

toomanystrollers
09-19-2003, 12:54 PM
Sonia,
What about the wilkinet? Kerry (Dcclerk ?) arranged a 15% off discount for bb members and with shipping from Wales, mine cost $50.
I know you can use it for carrying front or back and I like the fact that both my arms are free (with the KKAFP/ACP & my zolo - my right shoulder movement is limited).

HTH

Momof3Labs
09-19-2003, 01:34 PM
www.hotslings.com

www.daisy-doodles.com

How about an unadjustable pouch? They run less than $20!

sherryh
09-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Try the hip hammock. It is awesome!

http://store.yahoo.com/nurturecenter/hiphammock.html

SherryH

Momof3Labs
09-19-2003, 10:06 PM
No offense, Sherry, but I could not get the Hip Hammock to work comfortably for me! Colin was fine in it but it dug into my neck horribly. But I know that there are plenty of people who love theirs, just wanted to throw a little counter-review in there!

heidi_timms
09-20-2003, 08:15 PM
I just ordered a hemp pouch at www.mom-and-me-creations.com (haven't gotten it yet). It is also adjustable like the KK Pouch. I plan to get a KK Fleece Pouch later, but currently, we are on a spending freeze here. It's hot here in CA right now anyways with no AC! This will be my next purchase though!!!

Her natural colored hemp are $40 and it's $15 extra for dying, but sometimes she has sales on some already dyed hemp that she has in stock. I believe that she has a few already dyed on sale right now!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

egoldber
09-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Do you sew at all or know anyone who does? It is VERY easy make your own pouch style sling. I used this pattern and it is my favorite sling. I actually like it better than my Zolowear sling.

http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html

The trick is to get it to fit you perfectly, but if you make it yourself (or have someone do it) that shouldn't be a problem.

HTH,

chrissyhowie
09-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Hi, Sonia. I have both the KK fleece pouch and a pouch sling I made using the directions that Beth posted above. I agree with Beth that my homemade sling is by far my favorite. You definitely do not need to be a seamstress to make this. The directions are easy (really :)!). I originally made it too big, but it was simple to fix to the perfect size by just sewing a straight line!

The KK fleece pouch is super comfy, but it is quite warm. My DD is a little sweat ball as it is, so I only use it if it is cold and we are outside. I can't imagine doing housework with it on -- both of us would be dripping!

My vote would be to order a pouch sling from hotslings.com (or similar place) if you don't want to make one. I get asked all the time where I got my sling and I direct them to hotslings. Personally I choose this sling over other types because it is so compact. It folds down to nothing so I can even put it into my small purse. This way I always have it with me, even if I wasn't planning on using it. Super convenient. Plus you won't be out a whole chunk of money if it doesn't work out for you and Martie!

HTH,

MartiesMom2B
09-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks everyone:

I've decided to go ahead and get a hotsling. I don't have a machine so that's what I'm doing. However if I like my sling, I might go out and try to make one myself when I visit my mom and can use her machine. However my pal, Liza might be able to help me out with a ring sling after she tries making one for herself. I love having talented friends!

Sonia

lizajane
09-24-2003, 08:17 PM
you know it, baby!

i would be happy to try out the pouch pattern for you, and definitely try the ring sling after i try one for me. seriously, don't mind a bit.

just lemme know.

:)

MartiesMom2B
09-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Liza:

I'm already picturing us going to the fabric store together. LOL. Maybe some of your talent will rub off on me.

Sonia

csa12
09-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Liza and Sonia -
Can I just butt in and join your sling sewing fest? I just got my sewing machine and am trying out some sling patterns too!!

LOL Cheryl :)

MartiesMom2B
09-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Cheryl:

Of course you can. I really need to learn how to sew. My mom said that she had a machine for me, but I need to get it tuned up. I need sewing for dummies.

So I ordered a Blue Toile hot sling and it should be here in 5-6 days! I must say that Kristen is super nice and has responded to my e-mails very quickly.

Sonia

nitaghei
09-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Kristen is terrific! She exchanged my first sling when it turned out to be too small.

I have the green toile cotton one, and I just got the French blue fleece one for the winter. The color is gorgeous. The sling saved my sanity yesterday morning, when DS was being whiny and clingy (teething), and HAD to be held. I just put him in the sling, and took care of most of my morning chores and got into work a bare 5 minutes late! Of course, as soon as we got to day care, he was all big smiles, and his normal happy self- go figure!!!

Nita