PDA

View Full Version : I was wrong about disliking Maya Wrap Slings...

daisymommy
09-22-2003, 10:28 AM
I just wanted to say that I take back any negative comments regaurding Maya Wrap slings. I tried one a long time ago, and hated it. But yesterday I went into a very cute local baby boutique (you ladies would have been in heaven), and they carried Maya Wraps. Just for kicks I tried one on, and the owner showed me how to use the shoulder cap flap (which I never understood before, for some reason), and helped me spread out the fabric under Josh's bottom (hip carry position), and OMG! I now have a favorite sling!!! Matter of fact, I'm going back tommorow to get a second one! I am so excited. It even has the new pocket sewn into the tail for your keys, money, etc. I hate to say this, but I really find it much more comfortable than my cotton Zolo. So, I would say to all of you looking for an affordable cotton, breathable sling, go for a Maya Wrap! :)

cinrein
09-22-2003, 12:12 PM
What store and where? Do tell! :)

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

egoldber
09-22-2003, 12:22 PM
What size did you get? I love the Maya fabrics so much!! Please bring it to the DC get together!

I have to say I really like my Zolo, but I am not in love with it. My fav is STILL my pouch sling that I made for myself!

nofeea
09-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Up until now, I thought that the consensus was 'if you could get either one, go for a Zolo.' The Maya is so much cheaper. If it really is just as good.... (or better?)....

lizamann
09-22-2003, 01:13 PM
I have 2 mayas and a silk zolo and I keep falling more in love with the mayas. They just feel so comfy, and I really love snuggling Nora in the tail when bf in public.

Whick color(s) do you have? I have a very neutral color-crown and the pretty purple, blue, teal one. Love them both.

I'm about to iron my silk zolo to hopefully stretch it back a little after washing. I hope this does the trick!

MartiesMom2B
09-22-2003, 01:55 PM
One of the lactation consultants in my area sells them for $38.00. Is that a good price on them?

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Calmegja
09-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Cool. I'm happy that you found something you love so much, because that's really what it's all about....;-)

JerseyMom
09-23-2003, 09:33 AM
I love my Maya too. It does alot of work with not alot of material. Its simplicity is its brilliance. Glad you can join in the admiration.

daisymommy
09-23-2003, 10:59 AM
The shop I bought it at is is downtown/old-towne Occoquan. It's called "Two Boys and a Girl". There are two moms who just opened it, and they bring their beautiful babies to the store with them. I love being able to support women like that. They take turns working to give the other one time with their babies. There's a nursing couch and play area in the store, and the owner actually encouraged me to let Joshua try out the wooden toys! (Neve would have loved that ;)). They sell all kinds of wooden toys, toiletry products (Burt's Bee's, Mustella), AP books, breastfeeding supplies, clothes (Zutano, Cozy Toes, Bobux & Robeez shoes), and other things I've only seen online, not in our mass-market retail stores. The only thing missing were cloth diapers, but she was talking to a customer about some CD's, so maybe that's coming soon?

I bought a French blue colored sling (called denim chambray, but it's really a brighter French blue color), in size Medium. It is SOOOO comfy! I want to go back today and get a black one with multi color stripes running through it. They were $39.99, with the free instructional video/DVD. True, I could get one about $5 cheaper on Ebay (with free shipping), but her help in wearing it correctly, and supporting a great business was worth more than the $5 I saved IMO.

I'll be happy to bring my Maya Wrap(s) with me to the DC get together for anyone to try out. And yes, after trying on pretty much every sling I can think of, the Maya Wrap is the most comfortable unpadded sling I've found.

Calmegja
09-23-2003, 11:51 AM
If it's not too personal, can I ask a question about your build?

I cannot comfortably wear a Maya, and like the KK website states, even with correct shoulder cap placement, the rings migrate south onto my chest way too easily. I do not have the problem with KK slings or Zolos.

Are you broad shouldered or slim shouldered? I'm slim shouldered, and I'm curious if maybe that might be part of the reason the Maya doesn't work as well for me.

Of course, if you've got slim shoulders, too, then this is a silly question, but it popped into my head.....it might be one more clarification to make in suggesting slings to other people, if we can find what builds certain slings might, in general, go with..... ;-)

susabusa
09-23-2003, 03:14 PM
I think what really stands out from your post is the fact that you like a sling that someone helped you with one-on-one. I think it is always easier to master a sling that you have personal attention with. That is why even though I bought my sling on-line, I went over to a friends house who is a master sling user. That is why resources such as this board are wonderful. Lots of sling users immediately will tell you to find a la leche group to help you with a sling. We know as sling users that another sling wearer is the best expert.

I love my cotton zolo and my silk zolo... I've tried a Maya wrap, and it wasn't for me. Just like ice-cream, not everyone likes the same flavor!

Stephanie

daisymommy
09-23-2003, 07:01 PM
I am broad shouldered, 5'8" and at the "upper end" of the weight catergory for my height ;) Maybe you tried on a Maya that was too big for you? Maybe you didn't start with the rings high enough up, and if you pull on the tail downwards it will pull the rings down too. There is a part in the video that I found very helpful, showing how to move all the slack fabric towards the rings, then tighten it without the rings moving too much. That really helped me. Good Luck!

Calmegja
09-23-2003, 07:26 PM
Thanks, but I'm not looking for a Maya...I gave mine away, because it wasn't a match for us. My girlfriend is currently using it with a newborn, and she's doing pretty well with it, and her shoulders are broader than mine, so it's becoming a thought that part of this might be the frame of the wearer. I should go ask Tanya at KK, too, because she had a similiar complaint on her review page about slippage and ring placement...Conversely, that might explain why some of us do better with a Zolo or Rev. Jan type of pleated sling....

I was just trying to see if there was a different criteria or something that wold make the Maya work better for some than others.

It's so hard to recommend slings when people come on here and ask, and I thought maybe the shoulder qualification would be one more thing to take into consideration when we were recommending slings, or helping people to get the differences among the different slings.....;-)

Thanks for answering me! ;-)

daisymommy
09-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Sure, no problem! I do really well with a "Jan's pleated sling" type shoulder as well.