PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for baby carrier for travel to Maui

richfei
09-22-2003, 10:49 PM
Hi,

I'll be heading to Maui for a vacation with my wife and young son (15 months/25 pounds). On day trips we've always used a stroller. But I was thinking of trying out one of those carriers. I hear a lot about Kelty.

1) But is this something I can check on board or best to pack in a suitcase ? I'm not sure how 'collapsable' these things are, or they can easily damaged if checked on board.

2) Are there any 'travel lite' kind of carriers which are worth considering, or brands worth considering ?

One reason I was thinking of a carrier instead of using a stroller a lot, was to head to the beach. Our stroller currently just digs into the sand, and just gets stuck. Besides I was thinking a carrier would at least allow my hands to be free ,and my son would have a great view

3) Are these carriers quick to adjust, so I can swap easily, quickly and safely with my wife ?

4) Do you really pay for what you get e.g solid construction. Any brands to consider

Sorry I know, a lot of general questions. But I'm not very good at shopping for these things. Thanks

Dcclerk
09-23-2003, 11:51 AM
I don't have a Kelty and my DS isn't really old enough to wear in a backpack yet but I can tell you what we plan to get when DS is older ;)... a Dieter Kangaroo. I think this pack is really innovative. It is a small backpack where you can even put stuff in the sack, but behind the compartment, there is a carrier portion for your child. I've seen them for about $120 at the Right Start, although my Right Start can't keep them on the shelves for more than a couple of days. My neighbor has one and uses it all the time. She takes it to the beach, grocery shopping, cleaning her house, whatever. It has great hip support and her DS seems to love it. Come to think of it, she has even taken him hiking for a half day in the thing. Admittedly, both my neighbor and her son are very easygoing people who could probably tolerate quite a bit in the discomfort arena, but they both seem to adore this backpack.

Edited to add: I think this would make a fabulous carry-on diaper bag, too.