PDA

View Full Version : Purses to use with sling?

MartiesMom2B
09-27-2003, 09:48 PM
I got my Hotsling in the mail today and I love it. I have a feeling that the sling is going to be used a lot. Assuming that I'm wearing the sling right (I was studying the website) I found my shoulder strap purse almost impossible to carry while Martie was in the sling. Do you even carry a purse with a sling. Is that why you have your child in the sling and the stroller in front of you. I bet that's why the nifty Zolo has that zippered compartment in it.

Anyhow does anyone use a purse while slinging your baby with you or am I supposed to pull out my fanny pack.

Thanks!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

houseof3boys
09-27-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm still a sling newbie but I can't imagine wearing a purse comfortably with the hotsling. I love that the zolo has the pocket because I can fit a small wallet, cell phone, sunglasses and a burp cloth without it looking too bulky. I tend to keep the hotsling in the car and have just been grabbing my little wallet and carrying it with me when I run into a store.

What fabric did you get? Martie will love being a sling baby!

mama2be
09-27-2003, 10:24 PM
I'm wondering if a little "coin purse" could be attached somehow. I bet Liza can think of something at our next meeting. But if you put an ID, cc and one check in there you'd be set...Oh yeah and the keys!!! We'll look at it and see what we can come up with.

I'm going to buy a hotsling for one of my friends, I'm getting her several things so I'd rather get the deal that the Hotsling is and get other things too...

chrissyhowie
09-27-2003, 11:13 PM
I sometimes carry a small purse while using my pouch sling. The key for me is to have a purse with longish straps so you can reach into the purse without removing it from your shoulder. Here's a link to the kind of purse I've been using lately so you can see what I mean by the strap length:
http://www.1154lill.com/product.asp?deptid=2256&pfid=LIL00841
With this strap length, I can reach directly into the purse with my right hand while it is hanging on my right shoulder. I actually like wearing the sling with this kind of purse because then I never worry about the straps slipping from my shoulder!

Alternatively, if I'm just doing a really quick trip where I don't need anything except my keys and wallet, I just stick the wallet (which holds my keys in it) into the pouch itself next to DD. Since I most often carry DD in hip carry on my left hip, the wallet goes into the pouch next to her left thigh. It rests within the folds of fabric just below my chest. The wallet can't fall out while I am carrying DD in the sling since the fabric it is between is held taut by her weight.

But a fanny pack will work just great as well :)!

HTH,

MartiesMom2B
09-28-2003, 05:51 AM
I got the blue toile. I think she does like it. We went for a walk yesterday and I put her in the sling, hoping that it would make her tired. She loved looking around and see what was going on.

I think I'm just going to have to use a purse with a longer strap.

I highly recommend this sling. Kristen was really nice. I ordered the sling either Weds. or Thurs. and I got it yesterday.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

lizamann
09-28-2003, 11:27 AM
I love the Lill bags. I think I'm going to go to the store and get one custom. Only problem is that I would have to decide which sling to coordinate it with!

Beth

mama2be
09-28-2003, 12:44 PM
I bet a place like Target would have a good selection :)...when it comes to purses and bags they have cute, inexpensive items in that catagory...

chrissyhowie
09-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Beth,

The Lill bags really come out great. DH got me a gift certificate from there as a Mother's Day present. Going to the store and choosing the fabrics was really fun, but believe it or not kind of stressful -- so many beautiful choices!! If you decide to get one made, unless you find the combination of fabrics you absolutely love, try to make more than one trip to the store before you finalize your fabric decisions. Makes the process less gut-wrenching (you'll know what I mean once you get there) LOL! I'm sad that I didn't discover the store until right before I moved. One more thing to miss about Chicago :(! Have a great time choosing!

egoldber
09-30-2003, 09:05 AM
I would recommend a bag or purse that can be worn messenger style. This is what I do when I carry DD in the sling.

HTH,