PDA

View Full Version : Been using my pouch sling...

Marisa6826
10-05-2003, 05:13 PM
One word to describe my experience with it. OW. It's a Chic Papoose, it's beautiful, but it's killing me.

I don't know WHAT is going on, but it make my back even worse than the Bjorn!

I have it so that Sophie is on my left hip (just above my hip bone), her little heiney lower than her legs, the sling low on my shoulder and away from my neck.

It seems that I automatically lean to the right to compensate for her weight on my left hip.

Consequently, pain shoots down my sciatic nerve into my leg.

There MUST be something that I'm doing wrong, right??

I took her in it two blocks to CVS tonight and I could hardly walk by the time I got home. I even tried shifting her so that she was in front of me, kind of with a leg on either side of my bellybutton. It helped just a tiny bit.

I was seriously thinking about biting the bullet and getting a Zolo for my birthday, but if the slings hurt so much, I can't see spending the money!

HELP!

-m

Momof3Labs
10-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Sounds like the sling isn't snug enough. I like my pouch sling to be super-snug, so that Colin is sitting above my waistline. If I am leaning, I definitely need to tighten the pouch. Try tightening it up and see if that helps!

I know nothing about the sling that you are using, however. I'm not sure if it is adjustable or not.

egoldber
10-05-2003, 06:34 PM
I agree with Lori that it is probably too loose. I know you had to exchange it for a larger size, but you may very well be between sizes. This is why a lot of people recommend an adjustable pouch. But is is SUPER easy to adjust a pouch sling if you can sew at all. Just sew a straight line at the shoulder seam to take up the extra length until Sophie is comfortable for you.

Can you post a picture at all?

stillplayswithbarbies
10-05-2003, 07:39 PM
yep, too loose. Baby should be at or above your waist in order for it not to hurt your back. And the tighter you can snug her in close to your body, the better it will feel too.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Marisa6826
10-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Beth-

She's in her crib for the night. I will try and have Jonathan take a picture tomorrow night.

I'm wondering if the Zolo might be a better alternative. I showed Jonathan the site tonight. He thought it was beautiful, although expensive.

He said that if it will help my back, then it's worth the additional cost.

With the last sling (the regular sized one I exchanged), it seemed really way too tight. Almost constrictive once I had Sophie in it. I remember not being able to adjust my shoulder AT ALL once she was in it. And the sling was even MORE fun when I tried to take it off!

Maybe I can try breaking out the sewing machine. Isn't it hard figuring out where to seam it by yourself?

-m

egoldber
10-05-2003, 08:21 PM
Not really. When I made my sling, I put DD in it. Then, I held her where I wanted the sling to hold her, guessed how much extra fabric there was at the shoulder (this is obviously easier with a second person, but DH wasn't handy). I then made a straight line seam at the shoulder.

I did this 2 or 3 times until I was happy with the length. (I only adjusted it a couple inches at a time in case I guessed wrong and made it too small). After I was happy, I then sewed down the "flap" of fabric I had made at the shoulder to make it prettier.

Use a matching or coordinating thread, a short-ish stitch length, and I guarantee that no one will ever know!

Here are some pix from the Hotslings site. Note how high the older babies and toddlers sit. The sling should be smooth over your shoulder, no bunching up, not twisted. Also, make sure she is inside the pocket and not just resting on top of the pocket.

http://www.hotslings.com/babywearing.html
http://www.hotslings.com/babywearing2.html

A properly fitting sling should NOT hurt!

HTH,

Marisa6826
10-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Sophie's MUCH lower on my hip than in those pictures.

Looks like I'll be getting that sewing machine out!

-m

Calmegja
10-06-2003, 10:25 AM
Day late, and a dollar short, but I agree with everyone else, get out the old machine, and make that child higher and closer to you...;-)

cinrein
10-10-2003, 07:44 AM
Just wanted to add that maybe one of the ladies meeting you in Phila in a few weeks have a Zolo or other sling you can try? I definitely like to try before I buy.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03