PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on hip carriers

my2boys44
10-05-2003, 11:26 PM
I'd like to get some input on the hip hammock, hip hugger, and Walking rock farms hip carrier. Our 2nd DS is 8 months, weighs close to 20 lbs now. I have a Rosado sling which works well for me in the hip carry, but my babysitter and husband aren't convinced! So, I'd mainly be getting the hip carrier for them, unless I just love it too. We'd be using it primarily when one person takes both kids out (like to the playground, beach, maybe for quick trips to a store), and potentially for traveling (getting on/off airplanes, etc.). My main concerns are getting something that's comfortable for the wearer, not too hot for baby, and something that offers a little support if he falls asleep. Can you move any of them so the baby is more in front of you or on your back (say if he falls asleep)?

Thanks for any advice! I know I've seen posts on this stuff in the past, but I couldn't find a way to see the old posts since they changed the format.

Momof3Labs
10-06-2003, 09:31 AM
I had a Hip Hammock and now have a WRF hip carrier, and strongly dislike both. My biggest gripe was that they cut into my neck. And Colin was only 15lbs when I tried them!

If baby fell asleep, you could pull them towards your front, but not your back (the neck strap would be around your throat). They don't offer as much support as a sling, IMO, because they only come part way up baby's back (no head support, whereas you could pull most slings up to give a little head or neck support).

Calmegja
10-06-2003, 10:23 AM
I have the Hip Hugger, and I wouldn't recommend it. I liked it at first, before I got adept at other carriers, but it puts a lot of strain on your neck/shoulder, and migrates very easily.

It is, however, fabulous looking.

I prefer an unpadded sling, though, for a carry like that, or a fleece pouch.....