PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a sling or two for a first time mom...

smilequeen
10-09-2003, 09:37 AM
I think I want a sling (or two or three LOL) for my baby due in May. I don't know that much about slings I admit. I love the Chinese fabrics of the Zolowear slings and these http://www.fancybabysling.com/shop.html
Anyone have any feedback one way or the other on those. I'm definitely new to this and I want something that will be fairly easy to learn to use with a newborn.

I'm also up for suggestions for just a basic sling for the newborn...maybe just a plain black?

And do any of you also have a Bjorn type carrier? Would DH maybe prefer this. I'm kind of partial to the slings, although I have no real experience with either. They just look like they would be more comfortable for everyone.

I also should add that I was a D/DD before getting pregnant and plan to breastfeed(like I needed these ladies to grow...LOL) and I assume this WILL make a difference in what kind of sling might work for me.

Thanks guys!

egoldber
10-09-2003, 01:08 PM
A pouch style sling the Adjustable Fleece Pouch from Kangaroo Korner is very easy to use, comfy for mom and baby. My only reservation would be if you lived in a warm climate.

As far as ring slings go, many people like the Rosado, Zolowear, Over The Shoulder Baby Holder, Taylor Made Treasures and Maya Wrap slings. Some of it is personal preference and some of it is that some slings work better for some than others.

We started with the Bjorn. My DH loved that and he would rather be caught dead than wearing a sling. He occasionally wears her in our backpakc carrier, but if I am carrying her these days it is in a sling.

HTH,

mamahill
10-09-2003, 02:53 PM
We had a Bjorn in the beginning and it was great. Ainsleigh loved facing outward on it. I don't know if she would have liked a sling at that early an age because she always wanted to see what was going on. But, I would definitely shy away from a plain black one with a newborn. They tend to spit up a lot and I can just imagine a pretty black sling with white crusties here and there!

I only have a hotsling and love it. I've tried on the Zolo, though, and it is divine! I will definitely get one for #2, but can't justify the cost right now since my hotsling works just fine. The adjustability of the ring sling is really nice. I don't think you have to specify chest size when ordering since you measure from shoulder tip to hip to find the size.

Oh, and my DH is with Beth's - he wouldn't be caught dead in a sling. I showed him a picture of a man wearing sling once and he replied, "You've got to be kidding."

kensjen
10-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Karen,

Girl, you will love a sling! So far, it has been my favorite baby purchase, I use it ALL the time!! I am so glad the ladies here talked me into it, so now I want to do that for you! LOL

I have a Zolo and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I used it from the time Jonah was a few days old, he would cuddle up in there and sleep and I could have my hands free. It is very adjustable, and I will be able to use it for a long time. I like how the Zolo has the large zippered pocket, lots of times I go to the mall or wherever and only need the sling. I have the toile one (gorgeous) and just got a silk one for my b-day (even more gorgeous). It was hard for me to justify the $$ in the beginning, but seriously, after I used it once or twice, I totally had the hang of it, and it was worth the money!! I have heard wonderful things about her cotton ones too. Also, she recently switch over to lighter rings, the other ones were pretty heavy....the new ones are awesome. Anyway, since I have 2, you must know how much I really recommend them. Darien will let you return it if you aren't happy, so you really have nothing to lose.

I'm sure all of the other slings are great too, lots of people prefer the Maya, and it really is a personal decision. The pouches are great too, but not as versatile. I am still thinking of getting a fleece pouch for the winter....but if I had to have only one it would be a ring sling.

My husband uses the Baby Bjorn and loves it, I don't. After wearing a sling you will find the Bjorn uncomfortable. And with your chest size especially, since that is where you will be wearing the baby.

Well, if you have any other ?, let me know, I won't go on and on. :) Good luck in your decision!!
-Jen

mommyj
10-09-2003, 03:54 PM
I would recommend a zolo and an adjustable pouch. I have the black silk zolo and love it. I liked the pouch better at first because it took me a little bit longer to figure out how to get DS comfortable in the zolo. Now I like them both. I have a Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch, and I just ordered a black hemp pouch from Mom and me creations. I love the fleece pouch, and I'm guessing I'll love the hemp one since so many moms here like them. If you live in a warm climate, I would go with the hemp. The links for the pouches are: www.kangarookorner.com
www.mom-and-me-creations.com
You might also want a Baby Bjorn for DH if he won't wear a sling. DS is actually quite happy wearing the pouch, but I think he feels more manly in the Bjorn (maybe because his guy friends all use Bjorns). That being said, ds hated the bjorn at first, so DS has only been able to wear him in it since last week (he's almost 3 months old). Also, I think it's a pain to get the baby in and out of the bjorn. The pouches and slings are much easier.
If you like black, I would say to go ahead and get it. You can always clean any baby puke with a wet rag. I got my first pouch in blue, and while I love it, I ordered my hemp pouch in black because it goes with everything, and black is more my style.

Calmegja
10-09-2003, 04:25 PM
I've got a black pouch, and honestly, it's just fine. I just use a lint brush once in awhile with it, and I used my pill shaver once, after DH washed it for me with other clothes.....

I always recommend an adjustable pouch, and a ring sling. The Zolo is my favorite, silk or cotton....

heidi_timms
10-09-2003, 11:43 PM
I love my Mom and Me Creations pouch, especially for California. I just got a pretty periwinkle one!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Momof3Labs
10-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Ooooh - I've been lusting after a periwinkle M&MC pouch!!

smilequeen
10-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks everyone!