PDA

View Full Version : Now I want a mom and me hemp pouch....

kensjen
10-10-2003, 03:42 PM
I've read many reviews here on this pouch, and it looks great. I was wondering, how should I order it?? There are so many choices, back padded rail, extra snaps, colors.....ahhhh! Those of you who have one, do you like the padded rail? Is the extra row of snaps so I can make it bigger for DH?
Also, what color is nice?? It's hard to tell from the website. Anyone have a photo to post? Thanks for your help,
Jen
One more thing, would you say it is more or less comfortable (for the wearer) than the KKAFP? Thanks!

jayhjay
10-10-2003, 03:58 PM
I just ordered one and it is in the mail. I can't wait to get it! (Although I have three weeks to go before I deliver!) I got the maroon with an added back rail and added snap. Jen suggested adding a snap b/c I was in between sizes. I got the medium with an added snap to make it overlap more with the small for later on when I lose my pregnancy weight. She was very helpful in sizing and in selecting thread colors.

As far as colors, I found looking at the pictures on her site of real slings rather than the color swatches was more helpful. There are pictures on her main sling page, and also along the sides of the page with the swatches.

I added an extra rail b/c I figured if I wanted long term use for eventual hip carrry, having the rail would be a good idea. Jen suggested that if I only wanted it for a little one, just the front rail would be fine, but for an older child I might want the other rail.

deborah_r
10-10-2003, 04:04 PM
I want one so bad. I should have just ordered it instead of buying DS clothes on ebay and on Old Navy online :(

When I met zenbliss, she had a beautiful avocado green sling! It was very nice.

mom2kandj
10-10-2003, 05:18 PM
I borrowed Zen's sling and I wear an XL in shirts where she might wear a medium! She had a couple of rows of snaps for sizing and it worked well. I was able to sling an 18 month old toddler on my hip while pushing my Mac double stroller loaded with two 3 year olds across Disneyland! I didn't really get to admire it, but it was comfy for both DS and myself! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 katie (34 months)
& Jack (18 months)

lynettefrancois
10-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi, I just ordered mine today, so I just wanted to tell you to EMAIL Jen through the website- she is *very* helpful and will answer any question (and I had plenty of dumb questions! :) ). I read about these slings on a previous post, and asked Zen Bliss if there was any reason Not to get the second rail (since she's had hers for a bit) and she couldn't think of a single reason not to get it- should just make it more comfy for baby in certain positions. I doubt DH will be able to use mine since he's so much broader than me, but I plan on making a sling for him if he wants one. This one (the nice one I'll have) is just for ME! :) I don't know that it's any more comfortable for mom or baby than the KKAFP (both are supposed to be excellent), except the hemp should be cooler when it's hot. Also, the shoulder on the new Pea in a Pod design is narrower than it used to be. I have narrow shoulders and want to use it in Texas in the spring (still over 80 degrees) and summer, and that's why I picked this one over the KKAFP. HTH! Lynette

Calmegja
10-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Actually, hemp fleece is a tighter weave than the polarfleece used in the KKAFP, so it's not true that it's more breathable.

It's sweatshirt fleece.

Momof3Labs
10-10-2003, 10:20 PM
I have an older M&MC pouch, and I would recommend getting both rails. There is no reason not to, and it definitely keeps the pouch from cutting into baby's leg (the back rail does) and gives a nicer finish/trim (the front rail). The front rail is also supposed to be helpful when nursing a baby.

I have a natural - boring, I know - but am lusting after the periwinkle!

McQ
10-12-2003, 06:53 PM
I am right there with you! I e:mailed Jen a bunch of questions earlier today. I'm looking at the avacado, lavender or orchid. Or periwinkle. So many decisions!!!

Let us know when yours comes in and how you like it!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

lynettefrancois
10-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the input Lori! I did order both rails- in natural! But I am trying to coordinate with the summertime pastels and winter brights in my wardrobe...so I had to go with a neutral since my wardrobe colors are so varied. But I can see why you want the periwinkle! :) Maybe I'll get a red one someday (sigh)... I feel sorry enough for Jen on my trials and tribulations over the trim thread color, so I think I'll wait awhile before I try and order any other color pouch!

As for the other comment made about the KKAFP being more breathable, it could very well be. I just went by the comments from owners I've read that seem to think the M&MC might be a bit cooler. It made sense to me that fleece is warmer since Polarfleece is 100% polyester and hemp is a natural fiber. Also, I have Polarfleece jackets that can only be worn a handful of times a year in Texas, because they are too hot. In Tennessee of course, I can wear them much more often from October to April... but I try to stay as far south as possible at all times. :) I had also read that the fleece is fine up to 80 degrees in high humidity from the KK website, which won't get through even early spring in Texas, much less late spring! I don't know if the hemp will be cooler in fact, but it doesn't make sense to me that it would be warmer. And the temp is just one aspect to deciding on which sling... I expect the hemp will still be far too hot for visiting Texas in summer (where water activities are required for survival and fun), so I may be looking for a Solarveil sling next!

Calmegja
10-12-2003, 10:08 PM
My understanding is about the weave of the fabric. The sweatshirt hemp weave is a tighter weave than polarfleece, so it's not as breathable as polarfleece, because the fabric is simply tighter.

If you've got a tighter weave enclosing baby. It makes sense to me that it would, in fact, be the tighter weave that holds in more heat than the looser weave, just by the dynamic of it. It is also my understanding that hemp/cotton fleece not as stretchy/rebounding as polyester fleece....

But I'm not a fabric-ologist, :-) it's just information I picked along the way, when I started on the cloth diaper materials binge, but it's knowledge that applies here as well...

zen_bliss
10-13-2003, 01:57 AM
fabricologist! i love it! fibrephile?

though there are plenty of folks in hot climes who don't mind the polarfleece, it is just too bloody hot in the sun/heat for us, we both sweat like mad. Happily, it is finally getting a little autumn chill here in southern cal so i can comfortably wear it again! it will also have to do with how you carry your babe; it might not matter at all if you are exclusively doing hip carry, but mine is still small enough to enclose her head completely in the pouches for BFing and the synthetic polarfleece heats her to what i consider a dangerous degree. the hemp is MUCH cooler and in those terms plus as a blend of natural fibers, i think is "more breathe-able". she doesn't sweat in it anywhere near as much and we are both comfortable. as a completely useless piece of info, when i hold both fabrics up to the light, the weave looks about the same (to my non-micron calibrated eye), and the MM polar fleece has more 'loft' to fill in the gaps. polarfleece definitely has more 'rebound' and both fabrics benefit from the occasional wash to 're-set' the fabric. HTH!

lynettefrancois
10-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Great info! Do you wash the M&M hemp pouch in cold, warm, or hot water to "re-set" it? Or does it matter? Thanks! Lynette

heidi_timms
10-14-2003, 01:30 AM
I have the periwinkle and love it! Jen shows a picture of it on her site. I will also try and have DH take a photo of me with DD in it. I at first had a lilac, which was pretty, but then changed it for a periwinkle and LOVE the new color. It's much richer than the lilac. I got both rails so it will be versatile for using later.

For some reason, matching my clothes doesn't bother me. I just picked colors that I liked. I think that you are okay unless you are wearing a neon pink sling-LOL!!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

jayhjay
10-14-2003, 07:42 PM
Just reporting back that I got my maroon Mom and Me pouch and it looks great. I tried it on and played a bit but since I am 8+ months pregnant, couldn't get a real feel for size. But the snaps are sturdy, the trim is nice and the color came out great. Exactly like the picture on her site (the one with someone wearing it, not the swatch).

FWIW I also ordered some hemp nursing pads from her that are really soft, but obviously haven't tried them yet. But first impressions of both are good.