PDA

View Full Version : Sling fabric bleeding - what will set it?

houseof3boys
10-14-2003, 03:19 PM
One of my fantastic red slings is bleeding! I have washed it 3 times in cold (scared it would fade) and hung to dry. I didn't really notice it at first but when 2 of Ryan's outfits had pink on them (zout won't get them out either :(), I figured it was from his drooling!

What can I put in the wash to set the fabric so it doesn't happen anymore? I emailed the WAHM and she didn't really have any ideas since it hadn't happened to anyone else with this fabric.

I love this sling and used to use it a lot, but now I am scared to ruin any more clothes.

TIA!

Momof3Labs
10-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Vinegar! Throw it in a bucket of cold water with some vinegar, and keep on replacing the water until it is clear (you need to let it soak for a while to get out the dye). Then wash it as before.

Shout also has some throwaway dye catcher sheets at Wal-Mart - they might help, but I would try the vinegar trick first (at least it's cheap to try)!

calebsmama03
10-14-2003, 10:54 PM
I've used the shout dye catchers and they aren't all they're cracked up to be! I don't find them to make much difference. (Used them with a red outfit with white collar - it still ended up pink!) I'd go for the vinegar since the shout things are really only meant to catch loose dye in the wash, not "set" the dye to avoid the rubbing off type bleeding you describe. :)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

houseof3boys
10-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Thanks Lori, I will give it a try today!

nohomama
10-15-2003, 12:31 PM
When I bough my red cotton Zolo and asked Darien about the dye possibly bleeding she mentioned a product by Rit intended to set dyes. Bleeding was never an issue for me so I never went searching for the product but I imagine you could find it whereever Rit dyes are sold.

egoldber
10-15-2003, 01:54 PM
I would still be careful with that red Zolo. I have the Zolo toile bag and it is lined with the red fabric. It did bleed onto some things in the bag when one of DD's water sippies leaked a little. So it can bleed.

liya
10-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Vinegar hummmmmmmmm wont cut it on Red. Red is a very very hard color to stop from bleeding and vinegar just doesnt cut it alot of the times...With red i usually go proffesional and it never bleeds i use Soda Ash and Synthrapol to stick that red in and never let it out again. You can find both of these things here http://www.dharmatrading.com/tie-dye/materials.html#REQUIRED if you just get a little tiny jug of both that should do the trick...Honestly i havent found anything that works on red dye like this....

zen_bliss
10-18-2003, 11:07 PM
yep, red dye is the hardest color to keep, whether in clothes or in haircolor, a chemist friend once explained it to me but i don't remember why. i've also heard of that RIT stuff but i forget what it is called. since i wear a significant amount of red, i've adjusted to do a separate 'red' load all together or with black as just a fact of life. i've been avoiding dharma trading company for the following reason: 'well, since i'm placing an order and paying shipping anyway, i might as well also get...." i also avoid crafts stores for this reason!

houseof3boys
10-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Well, I tried doing the vinegar thing Lori suggested and after 10 times of rinsing and going out and buying a big jug of the stuff...the water is still bright pink! I bought the RIT stuff to so I will try that next. I just cannot believe that no one has complained about this with a sling. It's not like he is a huge drooler on the sling or that his mouth is gnawing on it but it is a pain that it gets on his clothes. ARGH!!!

calebsmama03
10-19-2003, 08:59 PM
Especially for that price!! I just have a tendance to fell that when an item is so very expensive it should be darn near perfect. Prewashed fabrics, no bleeding, no shrinkage, etc. Good luck with the Rit stuff!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

houseof3boys
10-20-2003, 01:03 PM
Well fortunately it is not the Zolo that is doing it (although it might too but this one was my pouch sling that was bleeding)!

liya
10-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Im telling you go to dharma....Sigh no one will listen to me...LOL :)

cinrein
10-21-2003, 11:07 AM
I have a red Zolo and haven't had any problems with it bleeding. Anna has drooled quite a bit while wearing it too, and no problems.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Calmegja
10-21-2003, 11:54 AM
I don't think it's her Zolo that's bleeding.

I know my red silk Zolo doesn't bleed....

kensjen
10-21-2003, 05:16 PM
I just ordered a redish pouch, I'm hoping mine won't bleed. I'll save this info though, good ideas. Let me know what works for you.

Marisa6826
10-21-2003, 06:03 PM
You can also try a big handful of Kosher salt in a bucket of cold water. Something about the salt sets the colours.

I remember this when learning how to tie dye many, many moons ago.

If all else fails, I guess either have it drycleaned or wash it on its own.

-m

Kimberly H
10-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Debbi,

According to my quilting friends, because of the new dyes used for bright/bold colors, things like vinegar no longer work.

They suggest a product called "Retayne" to set colors for quilting so I imagine it would work well for slings too. They do use it on baby quilts.

Good luck!