PDA

View Full Version : The best travel carriers

NyarKano
10-15-2003, 05:12 PM
I am traveling overseas in December, and I'm thinking of buying a new carrier for my baby. My baby is pleasingly plump: Right now she is 8 and a half months old and weighs 26 lbs, so she has long outgrown her Baby Bjorn. Quite frankly, I had never thought about buying a sling. Instead, I was looking for a front carrier that wouldn't kill my back as we move through various airports. (I suspect that one or two of my destinations may not offer the option of gate checking her stroller, so I will have to carry her.) However, having looked through numerous postings on this discussion board, I am now considering a sling, and possibly even a backpack.

Everyone seems to rave about the Zolo slings. But I'm curious: Is there a weight limit for them? Would they work for a baby my daughter's size? Also, when does one wear a silk baby carrier and how does one keep a silk sling tidy? Must it be dry cleaned? The fabric choices are beautiful, but I hope they are also practical. Finally, I live in the Washington, DC area. Does anyone know where I can try on a sling before I buy one?

Regarding backpack carriers, has anyone traveled with one? Are there styles that are small enough to be carried on board, or do they typically have to be checked? And how do they stand up to being checked?

Thanks.
Naomi
Mom to Ayiemba 02/03/03

ralu
10-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Not exactly an answer to your questions, but have you looked at Ergo baby carriers? They can be used front and back, are quite compact and very easy on your back:

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com

There are other carriers that are versatile and comfy (e.g., Sutemi pack, Wilkinet) and you may want to consider those too.

HTH,

Raluca

jayhjay
10-16-2003, 07:30 AM
The silk slings do not have to be dry cleaned. They can be washed in your home machine. If you check out her site she should have more details on the weight limits and fabric care (http://www.zolowear.com/).

I don't think she sells them to distributors but I am not sure. I think you have to order directly from her.

egoldber
10-16-2003, 09:15 AM
Is this something that you just want to use in the airport? Or will you also want to use it during your travels (like in zoos and museums for extended periods of time)?

If you just want it for the airport and for the occasional babywearing need, then I would get a sling. They are very compact and perfect for air travel. If you want one for more extended carrying, then I would go with a back carrier, like the Ergo or even a hard or softframed backpack carrier. That will be much more comfortable for extended carrying. We checked a Kelty backpack for a trip from Dulles to Paris last year with no troubles.

There is no real weight limit for slings. As long as your baby fits and you are comfortable, there is no problem. Zolo does have distributors and they are sold in a few retail stores, but none in the DC area. There may be distributor in the area, but I don't know of one. I know that there is a store in Occoquan called Two Girls and a Boy that carries Maya Wrap slings if you wanted to try one of those.

Where do you live in the DC area? There are lots of us here with various types of slings. A mama here may be able to help you out.

HTH,

NyarKano
10-16-2003, 10:26 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. I managed to try on a Maya Wrap and an Over The Shoulder Baby Holder today, and I really didn't find either one very comfortable. The fabric on the Maya Wrap kept slipping, and I couldn't imagine being able to keep my hands free.

I'm planning to use the carrier primarily in airports. I have a couple of long layovers in Europe, and then I'll be traveling from Lusaka, Zambia to Nairobi, Kenya, and there is a tricky part in the Lusaka airport between passport control, the departure lounge and the gate that has long flights of stairs in both directions. I think it will be easier to carry the baby than to try to maneuver a stroller in these areas. I don't see mysalf using the carrier very much outside of the airport. In fact, I'm looking for advice on a good travel stroller, something lightweight but also able to support the baby should she need to be in it for an hour or so. (But that's an issue for another forum. . . !)

So, I'll keep looking. Tomorrow I'm planning a trip to Great Beginnings (a fabulous baby store for anyone in the DC area) to see what they have to offer by way of carriers and strollers. So I may be back with more questions.

Thanks again.

Naomi

egoldber
10-17-2003, 03:09 PM
I'm curious as to where you found a place that had both of those slings? (Or was it not a store?)

Ring slings definitely have a learning curve. But you should have been able to get a somewhat comfortable position with one of the two. Did someone help you get your baby positioned correctly? And what position were you trying? Many don't like the OTSBH since it has so much padding, and the Maya of course has none. I just got a Maya myself and I find it very comfy, but I can see where it wouldn't be for everyone.

Just as a philosophical question, did you prefer the padded style of the OTSBH or the unpadded style of the Maya? That would help to direct other suggestions.

I have flown into one of the the Nairobi airports before, and I seem to recall a few flights of steps there as well. A carrier is much handier for many airports than strollers.

NyarKano
10-19-2003, 08:53 AM
I found both slings at the Breastfeeding Center in downtown Washington, at 21st and K streets. I went with my mother, and both she and someone from the Center helped me try the slings on. With regard to your question on padding: I think I prefer the unpadded Maya. The OTHBH was too bulky, and I really didn't feel as though my daughter was secure. The Maya would be ideal, if I could get the material to stay put.

I've also managed to try on a few frame carriers, by Evenflo and Kelty, and I have decided they are definitely not for me. I just feel that a frame carrier is too much--too much hardware, too much going on. In Zambia we tie our children on our backs or hips with a length of cloth. My daughter likes it when I carry her this way, but I am not sure that I would be able to maneuver the way I need to get her tied onto me within the confines of an airplane. So I think I'm leaning toward a KK or a Zolo, because they should be relatively compact to carry, and I hope it will be easy to insert the baby into them.

Do you have any experience with the KK? And when you flew into Nairobi did you remain within Kenya or were you transferring to another country in the region?

Naomi

egoldber
10-19-2003, 01:15 PM
I do not have any experience with the Kangaroo Korner unpadded ring sling. But I am sure they are quite nice!

Here are a few other unpadded ring slings to try.

www.taylormadetreasures.com (I have one of her water slings, its terrific, she's great to deal with.)

I've never used these slings, but at least a couple moms on this board have one:
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/slings.html

I have also read very intriguing things about these slings. People rave about them on the Yahoo Babywearing list, but I have never tried one. They sound terrific, but your mileage may vary!

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/sling.asp

You might be more comfortable buying from a place like KK, Zolo or TaylorMadeTreasures, where I know there is a good return policy.

I was in Kenya for a few days, 3 years ago. We then drove to Tanzania and spent two weeks there. We then transferred back to Kenya and flew out of Nairobi. We were on safari, of course. :) But we had such an amazing time. We can't wait until DD is big enough to enjoy the trip so that we can go back!