PDA

View Full Version : Help on cradle/nursing position

jayhjay
10-17-2003, 03:27 PM
I have a question on holding a baby in a sling in the cradle position. Should the baby's head by toward the open side (where your free arm is) or toward the closed side where the ring is (or would be on a pouch sling). I have seen pictures both ways so maybe it doesn't matter. But towards the open end seems almost like they woudl be laying at a downward angle. And toward the closed end seems really deep.

Anyway, I haven't tried this with a real baby (just playing with my sling) so maybe this will be more obvious when the baby is born. Just trying to figure it out. Thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
10-17-2003, 07:41 PM
either way works. The "right" way is with baby's head opposite the rings, but I didn't know that when I tried, so I did it with baby's head at the rings. Now that she is bigger, it only works with her head opposite the rings. Either way, baby lays horizontal in the sling.

you'll figure it out once you try it with a baby. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jayhjay
10-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks!

daisymommy
10-17-2003, 09:33 PM
One thing for sure, it's much easier to use the cradle position with an "open tail" ring sling such as a Zolo or Maya, than it is to use a sewn closed tail sling such as an Over The Shoulder Baby Holder. You can independently adjust the rails on an open tailed sling, to lift the baby's head up where you want it (like near your breast for nursing). But with a closed tail sling, when you pull the tail, the whole sling gets shorter. That makes it more difficult to get a great fit. I think this goes for a pouch sling probably too--although not sure. DS is so big I have never been able to put him in the cradle position since I bought a pouch sling.

new_mommy25
10-17-2003, 11:20 PM
I bought a ring sling about a week and a half ago and I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I recieved instructions from the woman I bought the sling from but I didn't get it and it was uncomfortable. So I went back to the store and asked again and I still didn't really get it. Finally after looking at a TON of websites I realized that I was totally wearing the sling incorrectly.
For tummy to tummy hold I like the instructions on this site
http://www.taylormadetreasures.wahmbiz.com/instructions.htm
However, for a cradle hold, it says to reach in the sling and flip your baby. For some reason I just couldn't get the hang of it and hated that position. Then I read the instructions on this site
http://www.rosadosling.com/cradle.htm
And now I love the cradle hold! In fact I went out to lnch today and when the baby woke up, I was able to nurse him in the sling hands free. My husband didn't even know I was nursing until I told him. Plus my sling has a longer tail which at first I disliked, but it was perfect for covering my tummy while I did nurse.
So above all, practice, practice, practice! I waws starting to get really discouraged but I'm so glad I didn't let up.
Good luck on your baby, I wish you well
HTH

Edited to add: On the Rosado sling site notice how the sling is over the womans shouldar. That is really important. I had it positioned incorrectly before and it killed my back worse than the Bjorn.