PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant 1st time mom-the more I read, the more confused I am!

brittone2
10-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Hi ladies,
I have lurked here on and off and also on the yahoo babywearing board, and I've spent time researching sling options as well. The more I read, the MORE confused I am as far as selecting a sling. I'm totally and utterly confused right now.
I'm due Feb. 21st, and live in PA, so it will be chilly here. I've considered the KK AFP and like the idea of a pouch style sling I think. My question is, how soon will it be too hot? Can I wear it in warmish spring weather (like temps in the 70s) or will it be too hot even then? Is it okay except for the really hot part of summer? I could get a cotton and an AFP, but if I'm only going to get to use the AFP for a short time, maybe I should just get the cotton?
I am planning to BF, and I know some prefer ring slings like the Maya and Zolo for this. I like the idea of a "tail" for discrete nursing, but my fear is learning to use either of these two. I see very few sling wearers in my area IRL and therefore I don't have anyone to help me IRL if I'm struggling. I'm going to my first LLL meeting tomorrow...I'm hoping there are some sling wearers in the group but I can't imagine there are that many since I never see anyone around here w/ a sling in public.
As far as sizing, how true to sizing charts are these? I'm short (5'2" ) and about 115-118 lbs prepregnancy. This would put me on the cusp of small/medium as far as KKAFP I believe. I guess I should go to the medium to make sure it fits? I also have a short torso. Would my size/height make it difficult for me to use any particular style of sling? Would a maya or zolo still work?
Any help you can give me as far as directing me toward a good, relatively easy to use sling suitable for a newborn, and suitable for a fairly petite mom would be sooooo appreciated. I don't know what else to even research...I feel like I'm going in circles. I have no idea which is best for us at this point.

Thanks ladies. Any feedback is appreciated. I know there is no one right sling for everyone starting out...I'd just love to hear you all weigh in w/ things I should be thinking about before buying.

Beth

deenass
10-22-2003, 04:01 PM
I have a Maya wrap and LOVE it! I'm 5'2" and I think I have a medium. I can nurse in it and use it to carry around my 18lb son ... he's loved it since the moment I put him in it. Mayas come with a video that you can watch ... beware the model is a little boring to listen to but easy to follow. You can put the littlest of babes in it. I liked the tail as a way to cover him up if I forgot a hat or in the rain.

A LLL meeting should be a good place to find sling wearers, don't be afraid to ask for some help with wearing it ... and remember it takes practice. It took me 2 weeks to get the ring on the right shoulder! (I kept putting it on backwards!)

GOOD LUCK!

susabusa
10-22-2003, 05:30 PM
I purchased a KKAFP for my baby that was born in April. We live in Minnesota and I could use it until July and then I moved on to a Zolo. The AFP gave me confidence to use a sling. I couldn't figure out how to nurse in the AFP when DD was a newborn -- but I can do it now. Nursing as a newborn they need so much more help and positioning than they do when they are older and can hunt and peck on their own. The pouch taught me that I couldn't live without a sling. I love my zolo and find it wonderful to use. I use it every day. DD is now 6 months old and gets so excited when I pull the sling out. I think she would use it as a snuggly if she could. If it is anywhere near her in the car she will pull it toward herself. I have both a silk and a cotton and love them both. Now that it is getting cold here again I've pulled out my AFP again and find it nice to be able to wear under my coat and put babe in for in and out of preschool while I drop the other munchkins off.

Stephanie

stillplayswithbarbies
10-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Get the fleece pouch. It is so much easier to use with a newborn than anything else. You will be able to use it until the hot part of summer, even longer indoors in the air conditioning.

it was hard for me to nurse a newborn in any sling. Once they have a little control of their head, it is much easier.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

heidi_timms
10-22-2003, 11:21 PM
I would also recommend the Mom and Me Hemp pouch. It is also adjustable and is supposed to be a bit cooler in the warmer months. I just got the periwinkle one and it's so pretty!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

megulis
10-23-2003, 09:45 AM
What I did was make a pouch type sling to see how it felt. I used teddy bears and cats as guinea pigs. I made a few more after ds arrived and have ordered a hemp pouch from Mom n Me. It hasn't arrived yet, but I think making my own made me feel less indecisive about getting a sling.

Now, I want to make a ring sling but was wondering if I can get it offline. And, also wanted to know if anyone has tried the kissa-sling http://kissaluvs.com/kissasling.htm . And if so, which fabric.

Thanks.