PDA

View Full Version : Hip Carriers

MimiSirois
10-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Does anyone have any experience they can share regarding hip carriers?

My husband desperately needs something for our 15-mo-old DD (23 lbs, 29") when he walks the dog in the early AM, along with baby. Needs ability to throw ball. Has been using Baby Bjorn, but baby is outgrowing it and, most importantly, there is now bulk from her coat as well as hubby's coat with the cold weather approaching (we're in New England).

It seems the hip carriers would be best for our situation, but we're open to other ideas (can't use backpack because we have one and it's difficult for DH to throw ball to dog.)

We will have to buy online b/c there are no stores near us. It looks like Sara's Ride could most meet our needs. We can't find Walking Rock Farms Hip Baby on line so if anyone has a link to that (if it's recommended), that'd be great.

TIA!
Michele

jayhjay
10-22-2003, 10:11 PM
I know nothing about the WRF carriers, but I do have their site address: http://www.walkingrockfarm.com/whoweare.htm

Hope this helps!

heidi_timms
10-22-2003, 11:19 PM
I would try either a pouch sling (Mom and Me Creations or Kangaroo Korner) or a Sutemipack. I have a sutemi, but haven't used it yet because DD is just starting to sit up. The Sutemi is pretty versatile.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Lisa_Seattle_2002
10-23-2003, 03:17 PM
We had a Maws (from The Right Start). It was great from about 9-13 months. My DH carried her all over Italy in it. But as she got heavier it got too uncomfortable (digging into the our shoulders). I had assumed a hip carrier would be better than a sling due to the hip belt - thought it would transfer the wieght better. But when Zoe got too heavy in the hip carrier (around 22 pounds) I got a Maya Wrap and was amazed - much more comfortable becuase of the "shoulder cap flap" (it distributes the weight over your entire shoulder area rather than just 3 inches of webbing). But, I know a lot of guys won't wear slings. That all being said, I think that there are better hip carriers out there than the one we have - particularly the Hip Hammock and the WRF. Good luck!
Lisa
mom to Zoe 7/16/02

megulis
10-23-2003, 04:21 PM
What is a "shoulder cap flap"? What does it look like? Any pics of this? Thanks.

Lisa_Seattle_2002
10-23-2003, 05:25 PM
It is the piece of fabric that you can pull down over your shoulder to distribute the weight more for wearing a bigger babe. The fabric is kind of pleated / gathered at the ring end so you can pull over as much as you need to be comfortable. Hard to describe. Watch the video - the second one "Sling Introduction and Sling Parts" shows it.

http://www.mayawrap.com/video/videomw.shtml

HTH!
Lisa

megulis
10-24-2003, 05:44 AM
Unfortunately the video is so small that I can't tell what it is. I'm so overwhelmed by all the selections of slings.

Has anyone tried this one:
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/sling_basic.asp

bnme
10-24-2003, 09:07 AM
I have the WRF carrier and I think its great. I have no experience with outher carriers, though. My DS is starting to feel a little heavy in it-he's about 22lbs and 30 inches, but it might not be an issue for your husband. I think its very comfortable and DS likes it, too.

Oh, and even though he's started to feel heavy its not to the point that its too uncomfortable to use.

Roleysmom
10-28-2003, 09:41 PM
We've been using the hip hammock (hiphammock.com) for about six months and we love it. My DD is 23 pounds and 32 inches tall and I can comfortably carry her in it. It's my main mode of transportation with her. I've used it for several hours at a time and as long as the shoulder strap is loose enough so it doesn't feel like all her weight is hanging on my neck, it's very comfortable. I also have a sling (OTSBH) that worked well up to about eight months ago. Now she's too big and it hurts my back and shoulders to use it.

I know others on the board have used the hip hammock and aren't as enthusiastic about it. If you do a search, you will find previous posts about the hip hammock and the WRF.

Paula - mom to Roley Julia 01-04-02

zen_bliss
10-29-2003, 02:46 AM
i'm having a bloody awful time with the hip hammock & the WRF. it might be my 'petite' geometry, but they both painfully pinch my neck. and everytime i wear one of them, i think, i could have her in this position much more securely in the ring sling with the 'rails' tightened to keep her in place during activity (like leaning over to pick up dog poo. or throwing balls.) just my 2¢, you could find some masculine fabric (camo? fave sports team logo?) for DH and make one yourself or have one made for half the price of a hip carrier. he'd probably prefer if the tail was stitched down to minimize it though ;)

nitaghei
10-29-2003, 10:40 AM
I'm convinced that the WRF works better for tall people. I'm 5'2" and it was really uncomfortable for me (love my hotslings, though!). DH, who is 6'4" loves the WRF, and uses it to carry DS, when walking both dogs. DS is about 29" and 18 lbs.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

dueinmay
11-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Hi Nita,
I'm glad you posted the comment about carriers for shorter moms! I'm 5'1" and looking for a carrier for my nearly 6 mth old. You mentioned you love your hotsling - what size did you buy? Do you use it in the hip position or other (or both)?

Thanks!!! :)

Rebecca
It's a girl! 5.14.03

nitaghei
11-03-2003, 01:49 PM
I have 2 hotslings in a small - and I'm not skinny by any means. I just use it in a hip carry - seems to work for both of us. Kristen also makes them in an XS and XS-S.

edited to add: I like my slings REALLY snug.

Kristen is great to work with, and very helpful with measurements. Just email her. I love pouch slings, and Kristen's prices are excellent, especially for someone like me who doesn't sew.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD